Coius microlepis

Mr_Puddlesworth

hi all,

I just purchased a baby the other week and was wondering what other people feed theirs, especially when they are juveniles. Mine is only an inch in length and pretty skittish. He wouldn't eat any artificial foods when i got him home so after worring for several days I bought 50 neons to keep him company and to much on. He is mowing through them, there is around 20 left after 3 weeks! Im really asking for some cheaper options - he finally ate some bloodworms when i put some in, more like a bloodworm. Should i starve him or grow him up some more on live food? Also what is their growth rate like?

thanks guys

They grow pretty slowly, no matter how much you feed.

I'd say don't try neons again...pretty cheap feeding a small tigerfish live food, wait until he's pushing 16". I feed my 5" specimen on frozen bloodworm, frozen brineshrimp, chopped fish (usually a butterfish fillet), canned baby prawns and occasional live foods. He doesn't get live food very often, but its usually fish, baby yabbies, earthworms or crickets. It wasn't too hard to get him to eat dead foods, once they're settled in tigerfish are pretty greedy.

-shaun

thanks i got him the neons mainly as he was stressing out hiding under anything he could and didnt eat for 3-4 days after i got him. The neons were to act as dither fish and for a snack. once they are all eaten i wont get anymore but use something else that he cant eat as dithers. im in brisbane, got it at wetpetz up here.

Hey guy's

when i was getting my cichla up to size i went to the local lake and caught Gambusia, chuck some bread in the water wait till they all swarm the bred then some quick action with the net and you will have quite a few. I used to catch several hundered at a time, and your doing your local waterway a service while your at it. I had 10 cichla in one tank and they would make over 100 disapear in a few seconds.

btw...make sure it's a clean waterway.

Tim

yeah alls good now :wub been feeding him bloodworms and the gambusia. While i was at the river i was also running the net through some weeds and catching really small prawns and i caught a baby eel tailed cat that was only 1cm long!! damn cutest little thing so i threw him in with 120Y (thats dattos name) and he looked at it for about 2 seconds before inhaling it up for lunch!! he then decided that it wasnt such a nice meal and was trying to spit it out but the spines on the cat must have lodged in his throat....he has managed to digest it now after giving me the heebygeebies for hopefully the last time,

thanks for your advice guys.

:o Tim

How are you, good to see you around

I would think some adult Gambusia that have been quarantined for a few weeks and dosed with an antibacterial and then a protozoan med before adding to the tank

Nothing like new born livebearers to tempt a baby Dat and it will nail the adults when they fit the mouth

The glass shrimps are good if you can get them

Seems you both have learnt the defence mechanism of catfish :)

Try soaking any pellets first before you give them to it as they might feel too hard in the mouth

:wub L2H

Archived