Sick Red Devil Cichlid Helllpp!

kristul

I have a Male Red Devil Cichlid around 14 yrs old approximately 14 inches in Length, much bigger and older than I was told they normally grow. After a 50% water change he is has been very sick, not eating and floating and bent to one side, he swims to the bottom and then just floats to the top, he tries to swim to the side when I go near the tank to see me but can't and floats to the top again, he really is fighting to swim , he can swim but needs to fight to stay towards the bottom of the tank.

His colour and scales are fine, he isn't bloated, but hasn't eaten for over a month and has lost a lot of weight. I have looked through forums and such but can't find what the problem could be, besides the obvious old age LOL. He was very happy before the water change. Do you know what it could be and what I could do to save him as he is loved very much.

Desperate

[color=blue

sad.gif

Hi kristul,

Sounds like a swim bladder problem. I don't know of any cure, sorry.

I once lost a stunning male Taiwan Reef to a swim bladder problem, broke my heart. He had the exact same symptoms to what you described.

What size tank do you keep him in? Do you do 50% water changes regularly? What other fish are in there? What are the water parameters? What filtration do you use? etc, etc etc.

Good luck.

Sam.

I'm really sorry abt yr Devil. I hve a male abt the same size only younger

and they really are a true pet and the 'puppy dog' of fish.

I hve to agree with the previous reply in that its almost certainly swim bladder disease. I lost a large male oscar to the same thing abt 6 months ago and have lost a number of fish this way over the years. Unfortunately there doesnt appear to be any cure once it really takes hold.On the other hand I had a large trimac who started to display the symptoms but did eventually recover. In the oscars case he stopped eating, started floating on the surface and was in so much distress I put him down.

I guess being philosophical your Devil has had a good innings at 14 years but its still

very upsetting to lose such a nice fish.

Good luck

Nick

Oscar is in a 240 ltr tank alone, he has 25% water changes monthly, and has a large external filter, but for some reason he didn't like the last water change. Which I always do on a Sunday as the council isn't putting harmful chemical in the water on that day. Are you sure there is no cure???.... it's hard to let go, he's like a part of the family. It breaks my heart when he comes to the front of the glass to look at me, he stuggles to stay with me but then floats back up. Better stop now getting choked up.... But your right, he's had a fantastic innings. I'm shaking my head at my own patheticness now..... I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it, but just out of curiousity, how do you put a loved fish out of it's misery??.

blush.gif

Hi Kristul

The only thing I can think of is increasing the salt content in the water to help with the bouyancy from the swim bladder prob

Lower the tank water level by 20% if possible

I think a salt dosage to use would be 1 teaspoon per 10 litres on day one and a repeat dose on day 3 leave the fish in this till day 5 while checking for progress

Fill with fresh water if there is a noted improvement then do 10-20% water changes each week over the next month with chloramine remover like Prime

Use rock salt, pool salt, coarse/butchers salt or cooking salt not table or Iodined salt

Cease treatment if there are any signs of distress and top up tank with fesh water and chloramine remover like Prime

I also suggest investing in a plastic 200 litre drum to precondition water for water changes

Good luck, but as suggested it could be a bad reaction to the water change linked to the age of the fish

cool.gif L2H

Im off now to do all the things suggested. But how do I get him to eat, I think he will starve to death before I can get him to eat. I've tried all sorts of different foods.

Sometimes he'll accidently such some up but he'll spit it right out of his Gills again.

Is there anyway I can force feed him, with an eyedropper or something?

I really appreciate all the help, as the Fish shop owner pretty well just said old age and wouldn't suggest anything.

Thanks Again. rolleyes.gif

Kristul

You can forcefeed a fish using liquid food through an eyedropper etc but the problem is holding onto the fish while you do it. You need to be careful not to stress the fish too much and if you accidentally drop the fish its going to make its condition worse.

You could try netting the fish, holding it in the net on the water surface and trying to get the eyedropper (or one of those plastic plunger things that you give babies medicine with) into its mouth.

As to euthanising a fish painlessly - I'm not suggesting that this is the ideal way but it works for me and I've used it several times with old sick fish that were distressed and needed putting down.

Put the fish in a bucket of water - put in about 2 cups of white alcohol ( vodka, white rum etc) which will put the fish into a stupor similar to a coma ( if you dont want to use alcohol you could probably use a bunch of painkillers,panadol etc dilluted in water but alcohol works faster and is less messy). When the fish is unconcious put the fish in the bucket (if you have room) or in a container into the freezer of your fridge and the fish will just die after a period of time.

I know that its faster etc to cut the nerves near the head with a knife or belt it onto a hard surface etc but I cant come at that!

Hope it doesnt come to that.

Nick

My Red Devil is now in much less water and swimming in salt, well not really swimming, he didn't like it one little bit at first but seems to have settled down, I even imagined he was swimming better, but maybe it's wishful thinking. I figure it will kill him or cure him but either would be best.

Will keep you all updated as to his progress, Thanks again to all. rolleyes.gif

Hi Kristul

I wouldn't worry about handling the fish to feed as it is stressed enough

Good to hear he's settled down a bit with less water and has accepted

the first increase in salt

the salt seems to stimulate Central Americans in their mucus production

and well being, I have no proof but its like it stimulates the immune system

Hopefully the fish will be more comfortable with increased stability and bouancy

What temp is the tank running at ?

Keep us posted

cool.gif L2H

The temp in the tank at the moment is between 27C &28C. What is the liquid that can be put in the water does anyone know the name of it?.

I know you can use a liquid garlic in saltwater, some people even mush up their own store bought garlic for the fish to build up their immune system, but I'm not sure if it applies to fresh water fish.

smile.gif

Even though the prob sounds like a swim bladder one, which i agree it is, it's almost certain that this is a result of old age, just like humans the body degrades with time. Don't be sad or remorsefull you have provided your fish with a life beyond what it could have hoped for in the wild. Congratulations.

Maybe it's time to get a new puppy?

I've never heard of stress coat, I'll use what link2hell told me to get, the stuff called Prime, it also has stuff in it that provides a protective slime. I was more thinking of a liquid vitamin, like we have for humans, something to boost his immune system, I havn't come across any. I think right now I am flogging a dead horse/fish. I know he's old but he won't give up, still gets excited when I come near the tank Bit like an old person when you visit them in an old peoples home.

There is no change in him at this stage, but he hasn't go worse either.

I havn't the heart to put him down, even if it is in a bucket of Vodka, I would mind going that way.

Daddyyyy!!!! I don't want a new puppy, I wan't Oscar. sad.gif

Archived