Filtration, Lighting and any other advice for a new 6 x 2 x 2 cichlid tank

SophSixx

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are adjustable Buccal, been tinkering with the settings but am hopeless at getting it exactly how I want them! Trying out my hand at rock work today and I can't believe how hard it is to work with a tank this tall:blink:blink:blink

HEEEEEELP, So the last few days everything has been great, opened the cabinet to the sump tonight and I nearly died. There's a leak in the plumbing and I have no idea what to do. The guy who did the build has gone overseas for Chinese New Year till the end of Feb and I have no clue as to what I should do to fix this???

image.jpg

leaks  can be hard to follow as the water will run along pipes and drip down some where else being glued pipe work not an easy fix i should imagine 

bit unusuall for the glued fittings to start leaking maybe its a threaded connection at the tank itself doo the pipes go up and over and into tank or is there a hole drilled some where and it enters the tank that way.

i guess if falling back into the sump not a major issue   maybe try to guide the water back into the sump if not until your installer can get back to rectify the problem.

If its just a slow leak back into the sump, maybe just leave it as is, keep an eye on it and wait for the tank builder to come back or ring the shop and demand they send someone to fix it asap.

I dunno about this tank builder but when I glue pvc piping together I get it everywhere. I cant see a drop of blue glue anywhere. To me it looks like its been pushed together unglued, though I have been known to be wrong....lots lol

you may be wrong chuck there is also clear glue.   but i personally wouldnt use the white plastic myself banned from the plumbing industry above ground 30+ years ago.   no good for me no good for my fish.

looks like it could be where the white plastic meets the black or at the tank conection it self either way not an easy fix.   place your hand at the top if it gets wet there probably that one.    if pipes not glued id imagine the pump would off blown it all apart before this.

It is definitely leaking back into the sump and is a slow drip. I was watching then do all the plumbing and they fitted pieces, took them off, glued and then refitted although this 1 in particular doesn't look like there is glue judging by the photo. I can see most joins have blue glue yet this 1 doesn't. 

I see me camping out by the sump tonight making sure nothing floods...not that I know what to do if it does?

Probably coming from the bushed thread, black piece of threaded pipe near bottom of tank, threaded into hexagonal black bush fitting into bottom of tank...

No thread tape by the looks of it & those fittings are almost never water tight.
I'm an Irrigation Installer (plumbing without the sh..) so if it turns into an absolute emergency & you're in the Sydney area let me know & I can help you out :)

i personally would of put a barrell union in probably both ends so it can be pulled apart and repaired more easily for such situations do occur.

You can get an end plug to fit the intake pipe, if not make one but it needs to be strong enough to handle a bit of pressure. Dense plastic or rubber would be easiest to shape into a plug. Find someone with a lathe...

Plug intake from tank, disassemble pipe, thread tape properly, reassemble & bingo :)

Actually is your intake bottom of tank or do you have a weir? If there's a drop down section of glass for the water to overflow into the intake, just lower the tank level so it doesn't go over into the intake then repair, no need for a plug

Lol got to love how simple you guys make everything sound...you lost me at an end plug?. Hopefully it will be ok until tomorrow so I can figure "who" will fix this. Unfortunately the shop where I ordered the tank is closed until Wednesday. Fingers crossed nothing more happens until then and I don't flood the house ?.

being fixed like that not alot of room for expansion and contraction of the pipe work either  plus the vibration stress the pump probably puts on it would re think how they done it personally.   shame it wasnt  a few weeks back sixx i was over in melbourne.

at the tank connection?    how is water getting into the thread there?    there sealed to the tank with rubber fittings the tank connectors ive bought dont require  thread seal at all   just all thread that can be cut to length and then thread sealed with your next  connection.  

Archived