What Do You Rate The New Forum

Richard

What do you rate the new forum  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys i hope for you mad navigation through this mad forum :D

really it is better than the old dress.....

good job Yew....

good job MODS

and don't worry about the ppl who voted 1 or other than 10 because i think the only reason for it is they find it too hard because they're not used to the new style.......... so they vote like that, not considering the job that has being done to create such a forum...... well everyone who's studying computers knows that this forum is the best on the net so far and sure it will stay the best..... if we don't become ignorants.......:(

i'll c ya around.....

Hey guys - looks like i have overcome my technophobia and made the p[rogression to the new site. Looks good. Looking forward to having some more fishy chats.

Ciao

WW ;):

Thanks to the moderators who have been putting many hours worth of work in to get this new site up and running.

Hopefully you accept gratitude as a payment for all your hard work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I also think that I am almost at the top of the learning curve to work this new site out. Once I am there I will be giving this site an 11 out of 10. :D :^:

hi,

as far as I'm concerned the SCP Forum *equals* the forum members so the new forum is great *because* it's inhabited by a great bunch of SCP members.

Apart from that it's looking good and working well so congrats to the admins, mods, developers and whoever else was involved.

---

Some things I would have liked to have seen:

• an Australian ISP hosting the site. It's disappointing no oz isp could step up to the mark and provide the right sort of bandwith and facilities etc for the $ (I presume it was $ that clinched the decision? ). Chugging traffic back and forth to the states is slower and costs all our ISP's and hence ends up costing us.

Some things I'd still like to see or that I think should get there eventually:

• less white.
    It took me a while to get used to the colour scheme etc of the old forum but I miss it a bit now, mostly because of the background I think. I've never liked white backgrounds on computer applications.. I find my eyes get fatigued quickly.
  • more of the forums visible to the unregistered/unwashed folk out there on the net. Sure restrict posting to registered people (and being off ezboard allows this) but I think unregistered browsers (and web search engine bots) should be allowed in. A significant number of potential members will never become aware of the forums if the search engines don't know we exist and will be scared off by the requirement to register before they can browse around to see if they're worth joining.
  • longer topic descriptions. I think they're a good idea but they should be 2 or 3 times the size of the title rather than exactly the same size; ie 100 to 150 chars would make sense. You could have an option on the Control Panel.Board Settings page to "show topic descriptions" for those who don't want the descriptions shown on the topic list.
  • the Classifieds. Can someone please process my registration... I promise to be good.
  • "AUCTION" included amongst the authorised subject prefixes in the classifieds 'cos I've kept 5 peppermint bristlenose back for exactly this purpose.
  • A breeders register, or is that part of the classifieds?
  • pictures allowed in the breeders register.. I could never work out why they weren't allowed in the old ones.
  • better searching and cross referencing of the data in the breeders register. hmm since this is all backed on a mysql database it would be neat idea to add two new tables. One containing fish species and info and another linking members to species. Then let the individual breeders select the species they're breeding and then we'd be able to display species by breeder (like the old breeders register) or select breeders by species (which is often the way fish buyers want the info)
  • a non-fish forum with a suggestion box for stuff like this.
  • A Wollongong forum in the Local Info section
  • A nice big chunky [Next] and perhaps [Prev] link to the right and left of the page numbers on multi-page topics. perhaps it's because I'm running with a 1600x1200 screen resolution but I found the existing page links a bit fiddly (could also just be 'cos I'm tired)
  • use a separate stylesheet and link to it in your html headers rather than including the info in each page. Every single page downloaded from the site is about 7k larger than it needs to be because of this. Ditto for javascript functions.

Hi, aquaclear from Hornsby NSW. New forum looks great, so far so good! :D :D

...if you find a path with no obsticles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere- Frank a Clark.

I gave it a five, only because it's rather new.

My recomendations would be a few more skins and maybe some more VB tags to handle things like flash footers, maybe the ability to add attachments (but i'm not paying for bandwidth am i) and avatars.

And I can't for the life of me find the classifieds? Am I blind?

[edit] keep it membership access only, someone mentioned searchbots. If you let in the searchbots, you also let in the spambots [/edit]

Archived