Identification

Sooty

There are varieties of pure yellow electric yellows..LOL...i believe there was a guy over in WA that perfected it? Perhaps there were others aswell....

But the fish pictured dont seem to have typical E. Yellow body shape...

Im guessing a cross maybe? E. Yellow and something else to remove the black colouring? :confused:

Nope, Not lombardoi. Males are a Gold colour, and if there were that many males in 1 tank.... I'd hate to think of the outcome.

Plus the fish in the picture above seem to have more of a sloping forehead and slender body shape.

Where as if you look at the lombardoi pictures, they have a more rounder forehead and are more stockier in body height.

And as a side note - Have no idea what they are... I'd have guessed electric yellows, except they lack the black stripes....

HTH

the filename says "Yellows" so I'd say its Labidochromis caeruleus without the black stripe as per what MikeW said at the beginning of the thread.

body shape looks right to me :dntknw:

I'll go with Puulu Pt Zebra. The Puulu Pt Zebra is a line bred (aquarium-developed) form of Maylandia estherae - it is exactly that body shape and in many cases, that colour. The pointy snout is indicative of this particular man-made variety.

Not Metriaclima barlowi - it has a much more pronounced rounded head - much like Tropheops spp.

Not Labidochromis caeruleus - all colours & localities have black in at least the dorsal & anal fins.

Regards,

Andrew.

Hmm, I have seen those sort of fish before. <_< Take note also of how the fish have different shaped heads, some shaped more like yellows, some like zebs...hybrid. :cryblow:

IPB Image

They were imported into the country as Peacocks, can't remember if orange or yellow.. :blink

They are more than likely Yellows crossd with red zebs.

Compare these,

First pic red zeb,

2nd pic 1 of the fish in question

3rd pic lekky yellow

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have seen the so called yellow yellows, a guy in Perth posted on a USA site, boy did they get flamed over there. At some stage those Yellows had been bred against a Red zeb too. It is common practice overseas, usually by a novice who has a display tank with yellows & red zebs together. They think they are yellow fry, sell to shops{some know no better} then the yellows lines are stuffed.

This is a pic of one,

IPB Image

This is already happening here, I picked up some juvies from a lfs, the batch is gone except for one, that is well rounded like a zeb, but yellow, with black stripe. It is kept seperate, will try & get pic of it tomorrow.

Frenchy :)

There Labidochromis caeruleus

I think Sooty has put up the pic to continue the stir he started last night. If he really wanted to know he would have checked in and added his bit

Josh

Just to point out - "Puulu Pt" Zebs are a hybrid. Without doing genetic studies, we cannot tell what is in them. These fish look (for all the world) like the "Puulu Pt" Zebs I have seen. I would not be at all surprised if "Puulu Pts" included hybrids of estherae x caeruleus or estherae x peacocks. They bear the traits of all.

Having been to Malawi and seeing real estherae at Stuart Grant's "Red Zebra Lodge", I can honestly say that they are definitely not pure M. estherae (named after Stuart's wife, Esther).

Regards,

Andrew.

I don't think so Josh. Soot's are nicer from the other pics I have seen.

The pic of the group I put up was taken a couple of months ago in Qld. What are the chances they are being flogged off down there, look pretty similar aye, if not the same. Same sort of tank too ;)

Can anyone photo shop my pic to look the same as soots pic?

Also yes Andrew, so these are hybrid red crossed with yellow to create???? We can call them orange labs, or yellow red zebs ;)

Yeah, male red zebs are white/blue (depending on locality). I'm sure that some of that trait is retained in the hybrid.

Frenchy,

We can call them whatever we like...lol All I can say is that if it don't occur in the wild, it ain't going to find its way into my tank. :lol3:

Andrew.

That pic is already on this thread... :lol3:

Me thinkie there's a bit of peacock in those! I identify them as a new species - Feederus fishus! :lol3:

Just a note to show that this has already been discussed. Maybe the Sydney folk could come up with a great name for them <_<

I like the sellers last post. Not.

no we have not sold any yet.

we have over 1000 now

i think i will let a wholesaler look at them when i have a good lot and see what he will pay

till then lets just see what happens

Translation, no one wants them, I will try & flog them off to Sydney. <_< {only joking :lol3: }

Archived