euthanasia

graceless

Hi guys,

a while back i posted about the small oscar that i gave my brother that has a bung jaw. well, the situation with young rocket has worsened. he has pretty terrible hole in the head, and apparently leeches in his tank now due to the introduction of contaminated plants.

he is at my brother's house, so i can't say how bad the situation is, but from all reports it's pretty bad.

so, i think we just need to put him to sleep. he's had a crap life, and i don't think there's any niceness in prolonging it.

So, how should i do it. he's about 10cm. what's the best way?

Cheers

Grace

edit. spelling errors

The water in a bag then in the freezer method is the one I used to use to euthanise fish when I had a cichlid setup. It seems a lot more humane in that from all account the fishes metabolism just slows down and they effectively "go to sleep".

water + fish in freezer = cruel, fish feel....imagine being put in a freezer yourself.or if you must do this, stand beside the freezer so you can here them flopping around for 10mins!

sudden blow is the best way, either hit it,( requires practice, slimy wriggly fish , good aim etc) or throw it at a wall, then freeze if you want till bin day, or too be sure the fish is dead...you could also cut the fishes head off, stab just behind the eyes first, to sever/destroy the brain

or because its a pet and not everyone has the stomach for above, then take the fish to the vet and have them euth it properly, or see if they wil give you the stuff to add to the water, painless, fish is anaethetised, and drops off to sleep for ever.

i agree with OziOscar from that post put up by CalvusToTheRescue

a quick sharp blow is the best. however i do not agree with the slamming on the concrete method as with larger fish this method is not always sucessful.

i have used many methods in the past and have come to the conclusion that a thirty pound (or heavier) hammer works the best.

its a kinda electric chair v.s the guilotine arguement.

Hey Grace. I have read on other forums that the most humane way is to put the fish in a small container of water and add some oil of Cloves. It is apparently a quick and effective general anaesthetic. Once the fish goes sleepy byes you then stick it in the freezer to make sure. I have not tried it though so can't really comment from experience. Hope Thomas isn't putting the gourami in that tank as apparently hole in the head also affects gouramis.

Archived