2 foot ok?

graceless

Hi guys,

I am pretty keen on setting up a planted tank, but the only size tank i have free to do this in is a 2 foot standard tank.

is that too small? what can i put in there fish wise?

for substrate, i have iron ore at the moment, will that be ok? what about filtration? can i get away with corner filters?

i need direction as to where to start. your assistance would be great.

Thanks

Grace

Hi Grace,

personally, i think a standard 2' tank is the perfect size for a first planted tank. Achieving sufficient lighting is easy (2x fluoro tubes), and DIY CO2 is quite effective. Here is a snap of a 2' I set up a while back, using all DIY (CO2, fertiliser, substrate, hood)

user posted image

Re. a corner filter: I would probably not go with an air driven one if you decide to add CO2. If the tank is well planted the filter will only be for movement.

Substrate...I would go for something a little richer under the iron ore; I use no frills brand kitty litter.

Fish wise, i would go for dwarf pencilfish or emerald eye rasboras, but that is just personal choice.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers Troy

It's defineitly doable; there are several Nano cubes around, and my wife is trying out an 18" cube.

Its doable in a standard 2ft, but i find it a bit of a pain. The tank height is only small so most plants grow too fast and reach the top, so the tank requires constant pruning, so u will have to try and use slow growing plants, which limits your selection. But if u like pruning, it will work ok.

Its doable in a standard 2ft, but i find it a bit of a pain. The tank height is only small so most plants grow too fast and reach the top, so the tank requires constant pruning, so u will have to try and use slow growing plants, which limits your selection. But if u like pruning, it will work ok.

I've yet to meet anyone who loves the back breaking job of pruning! laugh.gif

Anyways, here are my horrid looking tanks, but still proof enough that small tanks are possible!

23CM Cube:

user posted image

2x1x1.5: (Currently revamped and waiting maturity!) blink.gif

user posted image

Cheers,

Jerome

this was my 2ft with slow growing plants and just plain gravel

tank size: 24 x 12 x 14H

lighting: 2 x 20W, 6hrs/day with co2

filtration: 350 L/h powerhead

plants: javaferns (normal&windelov), java moss, anubias (nana,lanceolata)

fish: 2 C.sterbai, 2 otocinclus, 12 cardinal tetras

user posted image

Archived