Trying to find info on a fish

23Skidoo

Well this fish is being sold in a local LFS and i think it's a native, but there is absolutely zero info anywhere, as far as i can tell this is a trade name and has no relationship with this fish, i've even gone through taxanomic studies of aussie fish looking for similar names, but alas no luck.

It's body shape is not unlike perch/grunter, it's scales are a very smooth silver with a few spot of grey/black on it lower sides and belly, it has an odd dorsal fin, almost split like a gudgeon (forward half/caudal half) with the forward half possesing extended rays towards the nose.

This was the only forum i could think of where i could post, on the tank it is listed as:-

"Spotted silver belly" with a second older sign saying

"Spotted filamentosis, silver belly"

This is a really cool looking fish i would like to add to my native tank, but i have a sleepy cod who can be a little narky so i don't want to risk an expensive fish that can't hold it's own. Any help is sincearly appreciated.

Well, the description above was from memory, and the fin may have been split (through damage) but since i didn't know the fish i just had to look at it and remeber. :lol:

...now that you mention it the head was similar (mainly jaw shape) to the barred grunter they had there.

Firestorm- What's brackish? I mean, what fish is brackish, as i have already assumed this to be a trade name, if ya know what it is let me know :D

If it is a barcoo, how would he go with my sleepy cod? The ?fish is about 10cm

O.K this is an edit, i just saw pics of them, i don't think it's them, when i said silver, i meant it doesn't even look like they have scales, just a seamless plating of silver (i'm guessing very fine scales).

Without a pic it is a bit hard to say ...

It could be a Threadfin Silver Biddy

Gerres filamentosus

they are oval shaped with forked caudal a prolonged filament on the 2nd dorsal ray..

They alsa have 7 rows of spots that form bars

Adults found in coastal areas with sandy bottoms, juveniles found in mangrove esteuaries and lower fresh water reaches..

They have also been confused with the common Ponyfish, Leiognathus equulus

Other brackish fish getting around at the moment other than scats and jacks

are the Milkfish Chanos chanos and Oxeye herring Megalops cyprinoides

Eagleman i think i owe you my first born!

This has been giving me the worst headache! It is the Gerres filamentosus, do you know much about them? They seem to be a brackish/marine fish but the lfs i've seen them in keeps him in pure fresh.

I'm under the impression that once he gets bigger he's gonna need a marine tank?

I only know as much as i already posted unfortunatly..

I havnt kept one and the info was from the Freshwater Fishes of Australia guide..

But from what i can understand juvies can be kept in fresh then slowly increase salinity as they grow.. However they may be like the Mangrove jacks and kept in fresh for a lot longer.. I beleive they are fairly new as far as fish keeping goes..

Archived