plastic tubs

cms

hi all, are the plastic tubs (30L maybe) from say bunnings/k-mart alright to use as a semi-perminant tank for breeding or growing up fry?

just wondering if the heater would affect the plastic or the plastic affect the water..?

i realise a glass tank would be better but this may be a cheaper alternative for me for now..

any help would be muchly appreciated, thanks a lot!

A plastic tub will be fine. Give it a good wash with Metho and then water and fill it up. To be on the safe side fill the tub and let it sit. Test the water after 24hrs if all is normal your fish will be fine.

As for the heater, as long as it isn't touching the plastic it should be fine. Use the suction caps to keep it away from the tub as far as possible and you will be fine.

HTH

in my opinion theres nothing wrong with ive grown up heaps of fry in plastics tubs i get mine from variety shop you know those bargain stores. i had 4 80L tubs going at once as for heaters i needed them more in winter you can get those heater shield that are plastic and so your heater doesnt touch the inside of the tub (its never happened to me but im just getting that it wouldnt be pretty) i had an auaclear hanging on one tub an internal power filter in another and two of em had undergravels the fry loved it only annoying thing is putting lids coz it isnt like a tank no gap for cords and airhose ad you dont want fish to jump out but this isnt a problem with fry so i just left it without a lid right now coz my six foot is leaking i have 3 150L tubs on the floor full of fish with an average size of 3-4 inches biggest ones 5-6inches and they are doing fine gonna modify the lids tonight so that way i can close them and feel secure about fish not jumping out just hope they haven't already probably just make a hole big enough to pass power cord through for filters and airline dont need heaters now coz its summer and ill probably cut out a section in thee middle of the lid to be able to see them and i'll hot glue some mesh over the gap.

Archived