living in the ACT

Zeb

Hi I know this is a little ot but Ive just received my marching orders to Queanbeyan and after looking at a few real estate sites, Im starting to regret accepting it. Is there any accomodation that is affordable? (ie I currently pay $180 for a 3br brick and tile near the water) or is it all in the Sydney range?

I'll save the 'where's the best place to get fish' one for later :8

Hi Zeb

A house near the water at Jervis Bay for $180 per week - that's everyone's dream :o . Enjoy it while you can, you're spoilt :D and I only say that because I'm jealous.

The rental market in Canberra has always been relatively expensive as there is always a high demand for it. I don't know if it still the case but defence force personnel (are you in this category?) seems to undertake their transfers around this time of year, and of course uni students start to look for accommodation early in the new year, all of which place a high demand for rental accommodation.

The cheaper housing accommodation in Canberra tends to be in the outer southern or northern suburbs .... it always is.

Of course purchasing is also expensive, but no where near the prices of Sydney Melbourne etc.

By the way there are some reasonable fish stores here, and some very keen cichlid keepers. We also have our own aquarium society which is a good place to start to get to know other keepers.

Good luck with your move

Clarky

Hey Zeb

if you are after cheap rent, and cheap car registration, and access t6o fireworks - then stay in Queanbeyan. It is not far to Canberra and the rent is much cheaper out there. You will just have to put up with a few westies... Ah so tempting to bag out the westies - but there are some good people who live in Queanbeyan too.

Will you bringing any interesting fish down here with you?

• 2 weeks later...

Malawi, thanks for that, however those areas you mentioned were well out of our price range (we didnt ring coz we didnt know who to ask for :B )

We finally settled on a tiny house at Banks, down south and im racking my brain trying to work out where to put my 'puter let alone a fish tank :(

We may drop in to a CDAS meeting though and press the flesh and chew the fat.

If you see an overweight guy with a look of amazement on his face, (that'll be me in the middle of Woden Plaza) feel free to tell me to get back across the border :D

Looking forward to being a 'westie' ;):

Oh, and one other thing....ACT drivers are the worst in the country :p

DWD - Banks ehy... waaaaaaaaay down south!

I agree about the driving, but you get used to it. No worse than the taxi and bus drivers in Sydney - how are you finding the round'abouts?

DWD

Welcome to the stinking hot and freezing cold capital of this great land. We have a pretty good location 2 hours to the south coast (mmm yellow tailed bream, flathead and snapper) and 2 hours from prestine trout waters, how can you go wrong? I live the good side of town the northside laugh.gif

cheers

Rosco

yup a great place... just 2 hours away from all the places you'd rather be whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Anyway, welcome to town dwd. If you feel piscene withdrawal symptoms coming on feel free to drop over and do some waterchanges at my place. My tanks are just a suburb or so away.

hi zeb,

ok I took a bit of poetic license tongue.giftongue.gif ; I'm two suburbs away in Theodore which I expect you'll be going past on your day to work each day.

John fleet or his alter ego Ron/kentro is actually in your suburb I expect... in the easter valley rise end of condor (or banks?)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived