J. transcriptus "gombe"

Rol&Jas

Hi,

I was complaining before that my gombes do not want to breed in the 2ft tank. Looks like they did it finally. I can see under a little cave where the pair resides and I have seen eggs stuck to the ceiling of the cave. I have noticed the eggs yesterday night, so I assume that the fry should hatch soon.

I've got all the materials and instructions for the brine shrimp egg hatchery (it is going to be my first time). When should I start to hatch them tonight, or wait until the fry is free swimming?

Thanks

Hi Roland,

The J. transcriptus "gombe" pairs i had before i sold them did all the work they are great parents i left the fry in with the parents when they are free swimming they will not come out much so you need to try and get some ground up flakes or what ever you are feeding the parents and send it in the direction of the fry so they will at least get some sort of food.

I hope this helps you just sit back relax and the parents will do all the work for you just enjoy them.

:^: :^:

I have to admit, we haven't done much in the way of special feeding with our Gombes. Just finely ground up flake - if there are any big chunks the parents clean it up. However if you do go to the trouble of growing live BBS for them, I'm sure that the fry will grow faster for you.

I'm not sure about the timing - our pair has always been very secretive - I've only ever seen their eggs once, so we've never been able to note egg to free swimming time (usually just see little fry) and I've never hatched my own brine shrimp (on the to-do list) so not sure of the hatch times there either.

I wouldn't worry too much - if you get the timing wrong and there's no BBS ready for them you can use flake. It helps if you have a tank that's been running a while with lots of algae in it - the fry will sniff around in the algae for little critters to eat. Which is why we keep our Juli tank "grubby"!

If you have to use flake just don't overfeed when the fry are very young - they won't eat much anyway. In our tank the flake gets spread all over the whole tank. The parents eat what the fry don't get to, and successive spawns as they grow older will do this too as they spread out over the tank.

Got to stop waffling now!

Cheers,

Jess

Archived