Gnatochromis permaxillaris

oracle

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone here has succesfully bred G.permaxillaris. I was at St George today and saw a few fry for sale and they weren't imported from Germany so I imagine someone in Sydney must be breeding them.

If you don't mind, can you let us know how you are keeping them and what size they have to be before they start breeding? I have read articles on the web but most of them weren't very specific.

Thanking you.

We got some fry from Dominic of Bega so he's one person who's bred them. He did a talk on them at one of the NSWCS meetings.....I can't remember what size his were when they bred though. They are biparental mouthbrooders.

We are currently keeping our 3 (which are about 15cm) in a 5 x 2 x 2 with foai and Cyprichromis.

They appear to be very peaceful especially towards other species of fish, have had the occasional posturing towards each other though and they do seem to have staked out their own territories within the tank.

HTH

Cheers,

Jess

Hi jess, how long did it take for them to grow to 15cm? The ones that I saw were quite tiny, about 4cm at the most. Does Dominic frequent the forum at all as I am interested in getting some fry off him if he has any? Thanks.

Hi Oracle,

have to admit had a closer look at them and the biggest one is only about 12cm. We've had them for about a year, but we raised them from 1cm.

They also had a set back recently - we moved them from the 5x2x2 they'd lived in for 7 months or so to a different 5x2x2. We did this because the one they were in had become crowded, and the one they were going to had better water quality (lower nitrates in particular).

They hated it! Just netting them stressed them enormously and they didn't settle in to the new tank even though there was lots of rockwork. They just hung out in the open looking miserable. Then they got a bacterial infection which manifested itself as inflamed tissue of the head and to top it off got a nasty case of finrot which ate their fins down to stubs in 24-48hrs. They went into a hospital tank, were treated with melafix and salt, grew their fins back in no time. Back into the original 5x2x2 and they're as happy as larry again. Odd because the fih in the tank they got moved to were fine......

Anyway, we haven't been able to find out a lot about them either......though if you have any questions we can help you with just ask.....

BTW - how much were the ones at St George going for?

They are worth growing up even if it takes a while. They are one of our favourite fish.....you can watch them for hours, sifting the sand with their weird mouths!

Here's a couple of pics of ours...

G_permaxillaris_ws3.jpg

gnatho_2_sml.jpg

Cheers,

Jess and Julian

They were quite cheap at St George - selling for $25 each for 3-4cm. I was so tempted to get them but had to restrain myself until I have done more research. Do you mind passing my details to Dominic as I am thinking of getting a few fry from him in the next couple of weeks (and I imagine the ones at St George would be gone by then)? If so, I'll PM you the details. :B

Archived