Advice needed on Base Fertiliser

punie

hi guys!

Finally! My turn to ask some questions and for advice!

I'm pretty tired of using fert tabs, and am looking for an alternative to the commercial base ferts as they cost way to much for a tub.

I see many gardening shops around but can never recognise which substrates would be suitable for a planted tank.

Whats a good fertiliser to use? One that wouldn't leach into my tank (some do even after adding a thick layer of gravel over it) and would be good for underwater plants?

I see many around, slow release etc etc but am never certain. Anyone got experience in this?

Must say i'm a newbie when it comes to making my own fert.

Thanks in advance!

You might want to try a search on this forum against the word "substrate" or even "duplarit". :D

There is a lot of discussion about this topic from late last year and early this year and there haven't been a whole lot of changes since then. :D

Lots of good info - got me started right.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hi,

I've used Manutec Fern Spikes slow release with a lot of success with heavy root feeders like swords. I use maybe 1/4 of a spike put right into the roots as deep as I can in the substrate. I do use a pretty fine gravel (1mm) and have about 10cm of it but have never tested to see if the spikes leach alot or not.

The swords with spikes certainly grow a lot better than those without, and it works for Nymphaea and other such root feeders too. Good when you are lazy with daily dosing like I am, and run the tank on a low to nil nutrient balance...

HTH

Vincent

p.s. You can get them in the garden section of Big W. I chose the fern spikes because the NPK ratio had the lowest P, but there are a few other varieties there that I might try with a higher level of P, as some US aquarists have been having good success with more P in low nutrient tanks.

I also use Manutec fern spikes (Big W $2.98 for 20 pieces) and can also confirm that they definately work for root feeders. Like Vincent, I also break off a 1/4 or 1/3 of a piece and bury it in 3mm gravel. Not sure if it leaches into the water column, but I would say not. Definately gives a lift to crypts, swords and nymphea (lotus).

Anyone else ?

Thanks for all the help and replies guys.

Currently i'm using a commercial root tab, but i was trying to deviate from the hassles of inserting a tab each time i shift a plant (which is very very often!)

So i embarked on a quest to find the best base fertiliser in terms of performance and costs.

So far the best i've gatehred is laterite, which isn't really common commercially unless i decide to go 'harvest' some from the hills around my place, which quite frankly i'm leaving as a last resort (talk about stealing a piece of australia! LOL.gif )

Will keep manutec in mind.

Am even toying with the idea of bringing in 'powersoil' sorta like the ADA ones, gravel with fert all in 1. But i'm wondering hows the response..

The quick and easy (but not cheap) laterite solution is Duplarit G and then re-dosing with Duplarit K.

Just make sure you pre-mix it into the substrate before filling with water, and then only in the lower layers else you will have some lovely, expensive red mud in suspension.

I found Duplarit G works well, but it does need follow-up with K else the initial success does not continue.

Cheers - OziOscar.

well i 'seeded' with relatively 'cheap' Aqamedic 'Terralit' which is basically a slow release clay based fert that i found is not too bad for my crypts, I still stick a tab under neath all my favourite crypts etc though. you can get it in 5kg buckets for around $100??? (dunno for sure) which is MORE than enough to do a 4X2X2

im not too sure its worth the hassle to get any power soils etc, plus customs would be a real PITA to get past smile.gif

Regards

Richard

Packaged or not they are likely to have a conniption owing to the probable microbial load...

Check it out before you ship to avoid disapointment / confiscation / prosecution.

Cheers - OziOscar.

whether or not its air tight, its still 'soil' and that normally fills customs with dread and all manner of threats  ... you should how they anal they get about mud stains on boxes....

They get "anal" for a very good reason. Have you ever seen what something like foot and mouth can do to the livestock industry. Cast your mind back to the piles of burning animals in the UK a few years back.

indeed, i didnt mean to sound flippant, being an Agri-nation we do have to be damn careful about what we bring in and what comes in smile.gif

like said in an earlier post, Dinosaur Pee is good and cheap, I prefer flourish or you can make your own PMDD (Poor Man's Dupla Drops) there are plenty of DIY sites on the net just do a search on PMDD

i totally understand with all the rules and regulations.

But hey, at the end of the day its the consumers that lose out.

But i guess it needs to be done to protect this agri-nation!

Thanks for all the replies!

Does anyone know of a source for red soil (laterite) in Sydney ?

So far we've talked about subtrate fertilizers, What do people use for fertilizing the

water column ? Any cheap options that work ?

There are hillsides on the way up the Pacific Hwy to the Central Coast that are rich in laterite.

As for the liquids, PMDD if you are handy with mixing.

Archived