*DIY* Night Light

PSi4EVA

Hi,

I figured being new to this forum, and having been helped so much in a short period of time, I decided to put together a little DIY article to fix a problem which has haunted me of late.

I'm ot sure how many of you want to view your fish at night, but I cant be the only one. :p I researched the topic and found that similar devices have been constructed out of LED's, but these required a little know-how to get the job running.

A simple visit to Jaycar solved my problem.

Tools

Screw-driver

Electrical Tape

Parts

1 x Clear plastic pen tube

2 x Cable holders

1 x 12v Transformer

1 x 100mm CCFL Tube (blue)

1 x 100mm CCFL Inverter

Steps

1. Lay parts out on table.

2. Put Cable holders into place on the hood.

3. Put CCFL tube into clear plastic pen tube.

4. Attach inverter under hood near the tube holder.

5. Slide tube into place in the holder.

6. Connect and run the wiring for the 12v transformer.

7. Check everything looks in order.

8. Switch on.

Notes

Any 12v transformer should do. The tube only draws 0.5ma.

The pen tube is the perfect diametre and length for the 100mm CCFL. It provides some protection for the fragile tube against bumps, etc.

You can secure the loose wiring with duct tape under the hood or alternatively use

some type of cable holder, though I'm not sure if they make them that small.

You can run the tube 24/7 due to the very small load, or attach it to a timer, to run

the opposite of your normal lights.

Blue; and Red (if used at the same time) help to simulate a natural moonlight environment.

Possibly with the right insulation and coverings, maybe cable shrink tubes, you may be able to make this tube submersible, but I cant guarentee it will work. See how it looks attached under the hood first and then go from there.

Total project cost

$25.00 AU

(transformer was free (had one around the house), but these retail for around $15 - $20))

Total Time

1hr

Effect

Subtle moonlight effect, that doesnt seem to bother the fish.

Any questions, etc, please dont hesitate to ask.

PIC 1 : Overview of hardware

nightlight.jpg

PIC 2 : Light Running (It's not so bright, I think the camera over exposed, but hopefully you should get the idea.)

nightlight_running.jpg

Anyway, I think that wraps up my first contribution to this board. Hope this guide helps, maybe spark an idea or two in a few ppl. Comments always appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks Edward.

One other thing before I forget. If you find the light is a little on the bright side, I kinda did. A tiny piece of blue cellophane (U'd be amazed what u can find at this hour on the comp. desk :lol: ) will take the "edge" off it. Personal preferance really.

Cheers,

Scott

I believe it would be possible to run multiple light setups, due to the fact they 0ny pull 0.5ma. If you have a 12V 500ma transformer which is very common, I couldnt see a problem. I still recommend you check with the guys at Jaycar first before hand just to be sure. I do know that you need a seperate inverter for each light. Multiple inverters, 1 transformer. Interesting question, I'll check it out tomorrow if I get a chance.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd better let you guys know, I just found out each CCFL tube draws 500mA and not 0.5mA as I previously had said. Just make sure you check the current load on your 12V transformer so you dont overload it. Please accept my apoligies if this has inconvienced anyone.

Regards,

Scott

Could you do this with blue LEDS? That way, you would get more sources of light and could stagger them in a more interesting way...

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hi OziOscar,

Yes, you could do it with blue LED's, as a matter of fact, that was what I was going to di it with, but after pricing them; blue led's at Jaycar run at around $5 per piece and I couldnt find any cheaper. Not considering the mess of wires under the hood. It is quite possible with LED's though. There is a website, Chuck's Planted Aquaria Articles : Nightlights you may like to check out for specifics. Instead I opted for this style unit based on simplicity and cost and effect. Im currently looking into implementing another 100mm blue (maybe red) CCFL. The only problem is regulating the light coverage and as you said, staggering them, so to speak. I'll let you guys know how it goes once it has been put up. Actually when I think about it, I might start another thread, entitled, "My Blue Tank" :lol:

Cheers,

Scott

Archived