What size canister filter and heater

tricky

I was wondering if anyone can help with what size pump output i would have to have to circulate and filter the water effectively on a 6x2x2 and what size heater or if i have to run 2 heaters. I currently have a pump output of 1500l/h and filter circulation of 800l/h(well thats what the box says anyway). Will this be sufficient?

Cheers Rick

Hi Tricky

It depends on what you're going to keep in there, but your target filter turnover should be between 5 and 10 times per hour.

Lower population, non-messy fish? 5 - 7 times is OK.

Higher population or messy feeders (Oscars etc)? 8 - 10 times is the norm.

It sounds like you have a cannister filter that is very undersized for the job imho. Your tank is about 680 litres. You do the math. smile.gif To save money, have a look at some of the very cool, very low cost and super effective DIY systems that the good members of these forums have come up with and other less auspicious ones around the net. :D

With a tank that big, two heaters is a minimum. It all depends on the ambient temperature of the room where the tank is placed. 2 x 300W would be OK, but I tend to lean towards redundancy on everything so I would go for 3 x 300 or 4 x 200. Spread them out and better place them near where the water moves the most so you get the best efficiency out of them. More smaller ones means that if they go high, then you don't cook the livestock and if they stick low then the others can take up the slack until you notice.

Lots of luck!

Cheers - OziOscar.

You're filtration is fine (if u do more regular water changes)...

i'm running a eheim 2028 on my 6x1.5x2.....but have an eheim 2260 for my marine tank.....will be swapped over once my sara outgrows the current 6ft.

since ur running borderline filtration....probably need another pump in the tank for extra water circulation...probably just put carbon and wool in the canister...

depending on what brand the canister is...what it says on the box isn't always right....don't forget to factor in head loss...

i agree with the other person though..depends on the stock in the tank and the bioload.

smile.gif

Just an aside...

Give the carbon a HUGE miss.

Unless you're incredibly diligent in replacing it, it will lead to troubles. Once it has completed absorbing nasties out of the water it will leach them back into it. Not a nice thought.

Stick to using carbon for removing specific things from the water - like after medication.

There are many schools of thought on what to put into the cannister. If you have three trays, go with a coarse filter foam as the prefilter layer, filter wool as the cleaning layer and think about either ceramic cylinders, ceramic noodles or mini-bio-balls in the last one (ie something to create some biological filtration). I have used this method for a while and it works well.

Oh - and on the filter thing: Yes, I do choose higher filtration rates, but it makes for very clean water, little or few particulate contamination issues and gives the chance to have higher stocking rates (ie controlled crowding with Africans) or messy fish (big SA/CA cichlids). Your choice in the end, is up to you.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived