Frozen Foods

Serial-Cichlid

I just thaw out the frozen food in with some tank water and then pour the whole thing in. I didnt realise there were preservatives in there also that may harm the fish. Should I net out the brine shrimp/shrimp/bloodworm etc...before I feed them to the fish?? :o :o :(

Cheers,

Huy

Fish food is made for fish. There is nothing in it that will kill them. I do, however, melt the frozen food in tank water before giving it to my fish. I don't remove the water, I just poor it all in. The reason I melt it is that a cyp or a calvus or anything I keep can’t eat a full frozen block.

LOL

I heard from you Richard :(

Thanks for the help guys. I feed them frozen foods once a week or fortnight. My fish start eating it when it melts and the shrimp break off bit by bit. There are no instructions on the fish food packet so I might actually investigate with the manufacturers and see what they have to say.

Cheers

Paul

I use a reasonable amount of blood worm of Indonesian origin for my Americans, so I just get a little tank water and defrost the goodies in that and drain before I serve.

I used just drop the blocks in, but seeing an Oscar finning around with a block of worms seemed undignified. :huh: Maybe they get brain-freeze from eating cold things too fast too. :D

If there is one thing I can be sure about products from Indonesia, they won't add anything to it if they can get away with it. :D Then again, it might be loaded with formaldehyde / formalin / only-God-knows what. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I'm lazy and just chuck mine in frozen. I wouldn't recommend doing this with fish with delicate mouth bits (sorry to go all technical there).

With most fish it should be fine :D.

The only reason i melt mine first is because the big fish in the tank will guts the whole block. If i break it up before i put it in - i know the smaller fish will get a little bit....

I'm currently using Hikari Bloodworms, and just toss the lot in frozen. Seems to melf pretty quickly, and having it float around a bit intially gets the fish interested.

I think the only reason why "frozen" brine shrimp is no good for fish is because their shells rupture and all the nutrition and natural colour enhancer such as b-carotene contained within the shell leaches into the water when you go thaw it.

Mark

Archived