rainbows for outdoor pond

wiLL

There are more than a couple, but basically any found from Southern Qld down to Vic and SA etc.

Even the northern varieties will handle cool temps although they would prefer indoor tanks in extreme cold areas.

i have used both crimson spotted and murray river (they are not the same no matter what people tell you... murray river have a blue-green body... crimson spoted have a "rainbow" striped with black down their sides)

they both survived fairly well in the ponds down the back (until my murray cod was looking for some temporary lodging while his home was being renovated)

Personally, i wouldn't put ANY Rainbows in an outdoor pond.

You don't get them around here naturally, because they can't tolerate the water temps.

Sure, they'd survive through summer, but come winter, i seriously doubt any would survive, unless it's a really deep pond.

If you want something in your pond that's visible and will survive, get Goldfish or Koi. laugh.gif

Rainbows are NOT very visible from above ! Spectacular colours from the sides, yeah, but have a look what colour their backs are !

Rainbows are beautiful fish that deserve better than being chucked in a pond.

If you MUST try it, Melanotaenia dubolayi are probably the best candidates.

HTH

crimson spotted and murray river (they are not the same no matter what people tell you...

Of course they're not the same, they're totally different species !! rolleyes.gif

"Crimson Spotted" Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia dubolayi

"Murray River" Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia fluviatilis

Anyone who thinks these are the same species has a screw loose, or they just don't know what they're talking about (this is a common problem with LFS staff when it comes to Rainbowfish) rolleyes.gif

M. dubolayi

user posted image

M. fluviatilis

(Ok, this is a crappy one, they usually have very red tails, and a few red stipes in the body)

user posted image

But you get the idea, totally different body colour, and no Crimson Spot !

I've never had much luck with fluviatilis, they don't seem to be as robust as dubolayi, or most of the splendida sorts.

HTH,

Andy

Do you really think the northern tropical rainbows are going to handle a 3 month winter in sydney with water temps down to 12 degrees or so at night?

Ive done it for 10 years in Adelaide so why is Sydney different ????

As said they will handle in door cold tanks which even in Adelaide rarely get below 14 inside..

As for outside ponds some probably wont but ones i have kept outside are

M. fluvitillis *Murray Rainbow*

M. fluvitillis *Dawson Rv Qld*

M. duboulayi 3 different color forms and locations

M. tatei SA and NT locations

The size and depth of the pond is important here.

A deep pond won't get as cold in the winter, so check your temp at the bottom of the pond not near the surface, this is where the fish will spend their winter.

Dark Morelia's comment on the water temp, as E4G13M4N said aren't entirely accurate, and i can't think why he posted that specifically, as many rainbow species live in all rivers up and down the coast, i have caught them locally near Newcastle.

So i can safely say they can live in our area. (the Barrington Tops get an awful lot colder than Sydney)

And he was right about them not being super attractive in a pond, but you can see them and in the morning the flashes of light and activity of the desperately spawning rainbows is funny.

In a pond these guys will breed really well, provided there is plenty of weed. And then they can be moved into other tanks to watch or used for trade, there are no where near enough rainbows in our tanks and in our LFS' these are a NATIVE specie and are one of the uniquely Australian fish that is colourful, small and easy to care for. They also make excellent dither fish for cichlid tanks.

It just boggles my mind how anyone could put a Carp in a pond in preference of a native? Goldfish and Koi are just ruddy carp!

Archived