4ft planted community setup

lilhungsta

I got an empty 4 ft tank, so Im planning on setting up a planted community tank. So far these are the fish that I currently have:

3 Clown loaches

4 Bristlenoses

These are the fish that I want to add to the tank:

5 Angels

2 Sailfin mollies

2 Honey gourami

2 Gold rams

15 number of schooling fish

So here are the questions:

1. What type of small schooling fish are compatible with these fish?

2. I heard that Sailfin mollies live in brackish water, will they do fine in fresh water?

3. Are all the fish above compatible with each other?

4. Will this tank be overcrowded?

Clown loaches get to 25cm so it's overcrowded right off the bat ohmy.gif

Luckily they do grow pretty slowly.

re scholling fish, I recommend rasboras. They stay small, nice colours and in my opinion (others may vary) they have a little more character than the small tetras. I can't tell the difference between individual neon tetras but for a similar size each of my 12 rasboras has a slightly different character (although not much, maybe I am mad, after all I am a fish guy smile.gif )

Opinions vary on mollies. They can live in brackish water and it does help reduce the incidence of ich, which they can be prone to but otherwise they are fine in fresh water.

yo littlehugger LOL.gif

ok my opinion is for nice aquascape best way to go is only large number of school fish

and i would recommend cardinal are nice as well they are smalle size which make your tank much more large when u have proper aquascape.+ some bnoise or true algea eater and forget all other fish . But this is only my opinion

if u need more help on plants such as aquascape or chemical i can help u fat time ( being a guru player on da game for quite some time now woot.gif ) LOL.gif

There's a nice American fish, the Golden pencil fish, they stay smaller and have a little more character than tetras, i'd skip the mollies, every time i've kept them in normal water (ie:not brackish) they are the first fish to get ich, every time.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a 4 foot planted community tank that currently houses

2 bristlenose

4 corydoras catfish

3 oto catfish

3 large angels

3 balloon mollies

3 swordtails

3 guppies

2 platies

1 freshwater dolphin

3 blue rams

2 bettas

It all looks great as I have fish at all levels and a lot of colour too. They all get on well and don't eat the plants. The live bearers also provide lots of yummy treats regularly. The Angels are too large to add any neon or cardinal tetras as I think they would end up as dinner.

i agree with miscus on the angels thing probably also same with the gouramis, why don't you try some danios,hatchet fish, larger tetras like congos etc., assorted catfish always make for an interesting setup i.e. whip tail cats, glass catfish, bn's(of course), skip the mollies, keep the rams, go for a unique setup with interesting and different occupants.

i also liked mianos idea with the rasboras (like the harlequin rasbora)they look good with glow light, neon,cardinal and other tetras.

good luck and let us know how it goes

cheers

Mix and match is a whole lot of fun, but going biotope is a whole lot more rewarding.

Have a look at some species you like, then try to isolate yourself to a biotope and work out the plan. After all, the joy of the bbq is not so much in the steak as in the sizzle. Anticipation is more than half the joy.

Find a major species that you like and take it from there.

With the clowns and the BNs you can go two ways easily... Maybe try to create a SE Asian biotope for the clowns... or go for a CA/SA for the BNs? While it won't be a true biotope system you can get pretty darned close and enjoy the challenge very well.

Lots of luck - OziOscar.

I'd personally drop the angels, anything under a 4X2, and angels and discus look overly huge not to mention they can get down right nasty to other fish

I'm a real fan of schooling fish and the only two that i will keep in schools in rummy nose and harlequin rasboras (these truly shine in a dimly lit planted tank as they literally will sparkle !!)

I doubt your clown loaches will grow to 25 cm in the next ten years, and in the mean time you can add another 2 if you so wish, I had 7 in my 4 ft and they were awesome to watch (when they were visible)

I'd also go for maybe a couple of pairs of dwarves, rams are a great start, maybe a colony of dicrossus filamentosus when the tank matures?

Hi sorry to hijack ur post.

Im also a big fans of large group of school fish.

hey Nornicle

u know where to get cheapest rummy nose ?

thinking getting some

i've heard as cheap as a dollar a head down in the west, but i also have heard horror stories about the health of those fish

$4.95 seems about normal retail on these fish, down to around $3.95... Buy them only if they are extremely healthy.. my small experience with them in stores and in my tank is that if they are unhealthy they can die off in droves or one by one, but at virtually un killable if in prime condition. you get what you pay for smile.gif

your a terrorist IntoTheRainz, hmmz the hatchet fish sounds great i think i might try then. But ill stick with angels the whole point of the planted tank is for the angels. Thanks alot guys

LOL.gifLOL.gif hugies

actually im Osama Beeing Lagging.

thanks huggies and Nornicle woot.gif

• 3 weeks later...

You also have to be careful if you add neons or cardinals with Angels- I am told that the angels like to feed on those little guys when they get bigger. I also think angels can be quite nasty fish and after my experience with them I would not go back to them

My personal favourite schooling fish is the black widow- Not colourful but look brilliant in a group and are often called line tetras as they often stay in a line while swimming in a group.

Angels range in price

I have bought young angels (less than 4cm) for as little as 5 dollar each- in general they are around 8 -10 dollars.

Large angels can be quite expensive- upwards of 20 bucks I reckon

From my experience angels grow quite quickly and so it is worth buying them cheaper and watching them grow

Fox

Archived