Nimbochromis livingstonii

Guest Gutty

One of my LFSs has some Nimbochromis livingstonii for sale, they range in size from 2" to 4". They are a beautiful looking fish with a reasonably bright blue head and fairly bright red anal(and possibly dorsal....can't remember) fin. I was thinking of buying one for my peacock/hap display tank but i'm not too sure about those colours. They are nothing like what i can find on the net. Even in breeding dress. They kinda look like a N.livingstonii - P.steveni Taiwan Reef cross.

My question is, in your opinion are they crossed, juiced, another colour morph/local or mislabelled(very similar to livingstonii but not quite) ?

I know it's hard to know without a photo, i'll try to get one this afternoon if the owner lets me.

Thanks

Matt

while back i saw some fusco's like that are all the fish in the tank like that???

the livingstoni i had had a red not extremely bright red anal fin and entire body a pale light blue

Well there are only 2 N.livingstonii in one tank with some mbuna and another larger livingstonii in a seperate tank with a bunch or different Malawis. So no, not really, but....................you get the idea.

Matt

Matt -

If they are that size and fully coloured I suspect foul play ;).

The old saying "If it looks too good to be true it probably is applies here"

;)

I have suspected this shop or one of it's breeders in the past. Actually, not suspect.......more like know without proof.

Guess i was kinda hoping some one would say "oh that'll be such'n'such a fish, must be misslabelled" as there are only 3 and i assume some one has traded them in rather than them coming from a breeder.

I'll see if i can get a pic.........

Thanks

Matt

For those that are interested, no photos needed(though i did snap a couple). The owner openly told me he uses "that food". Had some displaying on the front counter and recomended it to me. He did tell me not to use it for breeding purposes but still............ :angry:

Have you ever seen a 3cm Ngara flametail in breeding dress ? I have !! :p

;)

We have a shop up here on the Central Coast where every fish is always in full breeding dress. Including the females. He asks me everytime I see him if Dave has changed his views and can he sponsor the board yet. :angry: :lol:

Archived