All fry gone!

lucifuge

I had moved about 200 hatched fry from my Jewel Cichlids into a 2ft small breeding tank. I have been dropping in a about 5 drops of "fry food" from a squeeze tube every 5 hours or so. The fry didnt seem to increase in size, but numbers were dropping off daily. Yesterday I had about 100 left. Today theyre all gone!! cant even see bodies?? whats going wrong.

I took them out of the main tank, becuase last time the parents (or other fish) ate all fry. How do you win!?

You may have been overfeeding. every 5 hours seems to me to be a little too much food for newly hatched fry. Or another reason may have been that they were just too young to cope with the stress of moving from one tank to another as i have found the same thing happened to my first batch of cichlid fry. HTH Benno

Hi,

Very sad when things like that happen.

Need more info however to assist in what may have gone wrong.

What substrate is in the tank? Could the fry have died and are buried in there?

I have found that the fry of my GT's and Geo's bury themselves amongst the gravel so I now place them in bare grwo out tanks.

What filter is on the tank? Any possibility that the fry have been sucked into it?

Was the tank cycled?

Was there too much left over food to change water parameters?

All of these would have a part to play in why the fry died. I am certain that they have not just disappeared unless there was something else in the tank to consume the remains. wink.gif

Cheers

Next time try feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp, or even live if you could be bothered, but frozen is fine. much better. did you have one of those sponge filters?

did you try to use as much of the old water from the tank they were in previously?

its an internal Otto cycle pump..probably on the powerful side. maybe got sucked up into it. Using only Sydney sand at moment. And i did put some old water in tank.

i think maybe the ammonia levels got too high with overfeeding perhaps??

Hi again,

Sounds like your filter is the suspect. wink.gif You may want to consider a sponge filter or cover your inlet with a stocking?

In regard to overfeeding fry.....like all babies they require small frequent feeds so that their little bellies always appear be very round laugh.gif .

It is not uncommon for me to feed my fry tanks up to 8 or so times a day, when possible, but again I state VERY LITTLE FOOD. Small water changes are also done twice a week and uneaten food removed daily. Live food as well as good quality ground mix is fed. I have found that this promotes the most growth with none to little loss.

As fry grow the larger are moved again to promote growth in the others smile.gif . This is continued until I have no spare grow out tanks. Especially when we are talking of spawn greater than 50, the fry need room to grow or you may experience stunting problems mad.gif .

It takes alot of effort sometimes to be a good carer but certainly worth it.

Better luck next time.

Cheers

Archived