Macquaria ambigua

Peter_Gun_Riff

im thinking of getting a yellow belly as i think they look unreal. i was wondering is a 4x2x2 would be ok? for an adult what should i feed it? and what decor would be good wood etc thick or small pepples for substrate. wink.gif

TIA

also info on Hephaestus fuliginosus sooty grunter

they are prodominantly a live food eater... but they can (with patience and freeze dried bloodworms) be trained to accept dried bloodworms and then pellets (you must make the steps... QLD DPI tried heaps... and this was the method that worked)

You can also train the fish to take strips of fish (CARP!!!)

They are in the same genus as bass... so that should offer you a bit of insight into their feeding habits ...

(BTW... they love yabbies and shrimp... they must have yabbies to breed... but you will not get them to breed without hormone injection)

Cheers,

Jared

In the wild these guys love a bit of an obstacle to sit around, submerged logs, a pile of rocks on a sandy bottom, anywhere a group of innocent little fishies might congregate, unaware of the danger that lurks in the shadows!

Theres nothing like an ambush predator to smarten up a few feeder fish!

I like keepping natives, particularly cod and gudgeons, who have similar feeding habits, for the tank i'd try to geet some river sand, it's dredged from our rivers and is the closest to what they have as a substrate, i'd include a nice bit of driftwood or a pile of rocks for him to live in, and then plant some giant val at the ends of the tank, these guys from memeory, are pretty sedinatary, as in they pick a spot and stay there till the food runs out, so he probly won't be the most active fish in your collection.

Actually that uis why i like feeding my aussies feeders, you get to see them out and about a bit, plus the little guys liven up the tank for a few hours! Earth worms are also a good food, and my sleepy cod lives on 'em, i got a worm farm set-up from the coucil, cost me $50 or something like that and now i have an unlimited supply of live food and real good fertilizer for my orchids.

BTW Like jaz1989 says, yabbies are these guys favourite food, they are also fun to keep and breed and you can get ripe females or a bunch of 'em from places like Cray Haven near Karuah, it's pretty cheap and if you can keep 'em going well they will provide the BEST quality food for your natives!

Go the Natives!

yeah a 4x2x2 should be enough, as the guy before me said they dont move around much, they just find a hollow and sit in it, waiting for food to fall from the sky, pretty much all the other info is spot on.

Tim

Callop do grow pretty big though. We have pulled some rippers out of the Murray 50+cm. So a 4 foot may not be big enough in the long run. Cheerz Benno

I think most grunter's are more active predatory than ambush hunters, so they seem to be more active around the tank, and also why they don't play to well with others.

I've been told my cod wouldn't go with anything, but once he figures out a tankmate won't fit in his mouth he pretty much leaves them alone, i'd expect something similar from yellow belly. The grunters however are more likely to harass a fish to death, simply from territiriality or out right rudeness.

Archived