Another setup...

Sli_1504

Take a look at www.thekrib.com. They have a lot about all sorts of dwarfs there (choose the 'apistogramma and dwarfs' link). See what you like and what is suitable for what you are planning. Come back here for further opinions. Many of them are available here - we can help you with availability.

Stew,

Nothing that looks better than a planted display tank IMO (except maybe a reef tank). Your query is a little vague, and is difficult to answer in one or two paragraphs. What exactly are you after. Advice on how to set up the subtrate/plants/lighting ? Or help/advice on the fish to go in the tank ? Availablilty of plants/fish ? Tank size ? You really need to give us more details of what you are after.

Daniel

Daniel

I am really more interested in availabilty. I really do like the Apistogramma

spp. I just really don't want to create a planted tank then find all the fish that I find appealing would are unsuitable. Sorry for being a bit vague....

Fiona, thanks for the link

Thanks

Most planted tanks ideally require a ph of 6.5 to 7.2, ideally around 6.8ph. Carbonate hardness should be between 3-6, with 4 degrees kh being ideal. Most the dwarfs you see in the shops have been acclimatised to conditions similar to this. So most dwarfs will be quite happy if you provide these conditions. Many will even breed in these conditions. Obviously wild caughts are a different matter and will require more specific conditions.

Some dwarfs will even breed at around 8.0ph, (low kh) because they have been acclimatised several generations, I presume.

Just make sure the water is well filtered, and do regular partial water changes.

Keep nitrates low (a lot lower than for Malawi's) and obviously ammonia and nitrate should be near zero. If community set up, the larger the tank the better. 90cm or 120cm tanks even better. And dont overcrowd (like typical Mbuna set ups).

With regard to availability, just ask on here what you are after and someone should be able to advise if you if available and where you can get it. Some will have to be ordered from wholesalers through your lfs, which is not difficult.

I currently have a few excess 'German' Rams and some Apisto's available. Feel free to email me at marshresolutions@hotmail.com for further info on these.

Hi Stew -

I would NOT recommend Apistos. I personally don't think these are a good first dwarf. IME they are touchy little blighters.

What I would suggest are either some Nanacara anomala (or the other species we have here) or Papiliochromis altispinosa (the bolivian ram).

They are nice fish! Interesting and good choices for a first dwarf.

or maybe the good old krib or some other Pelvicachromis. Kribs are pretty hardy and will cope with mos mistakes you might make in setting up your first planted tank. Some of the other Pelvicachromis are a bit touchier but still make decent first dwarfs.

Archived