South/Central American Catfish

23Skidoo

I'm searching for med-lge American catfish, as i'd like one for my cichlid tank, but i'm only intersted in juveniles. Ehat species am i likely to find, in the upto 30-36 inch range?

I'm sorta interested in the large asian cats as well, but not really, at least until i can get a mekong cat anyway :D

I am after a catfish that will grow upto 36 inches (90cm)

Preferably one of the South American species. I have no idea what is out there.

I would consider asian catfish, but i want it for a large cichlid tank. And would prefer a juvenile.

All i want to know is what is out there? Available to me.

Leirius longibarbis (marmoratus is a junior synonym) will grow to 36". Try P blochii, ornatus or even lima they all stay pretty small. Clarias are also a nice fish but are considered noxious in almost every state from memory? but are still available, even in some LFS :wub . Alot of the L numbers will also gte quite large. Some up to 40" (A adonis- i have some for sale PM me if interested).

S. planiceps, TSN and ID sharks all get far larger then 3'.

Alex

3'x3'x4' for a 3' fish???

To keep a fish of this size you'd need a tank of at least 10'Lx4'Wx3'H. And if its a large predatory species...then a bigger tank will be needed. Predatory catfish need a-lot of space, they are quite active. And they feel really cramped if their barbels touch both sides of the tank at the same time, this makes them go nuts, dashing around the tank, smashing into the sides of tank etc.

At most you'd be able to house an 18" fish.

-Shaun

Archived