Paratilapia Polleni

sicj

I just wanted to know what size these guys start to breed at, cause i have a small pair of them i recently bought and was wondering at what size i should expect them to start spawning smile.gif

Any help guys wink.gif

Thanx thumb.gif

I'm probably not being much help, since i don't really have a clue what size they breed at, but considering their adult size they may be ready to breed at around 10-15cm or so.

How small are they ? Why don't you set them up to breed, so as soon as they're ready, they can. This is, of course, assuming they're compatible.

There's some good articles on them if you do a quick search, i just searched for "paratilapia polleni" breeding on Altavista, and there's heaps of results, i'm sure you could find the answer in there somewhere.

HTH,

Andy.

they will breed at a fairly small size, There age is more important. But roughyl over around 2.5" - 3" should see them breed. Mine did'nt eat there egg's, There great parents.

Tim

I had 2 large pairs b4 but when they bred for me the eggs unstuck from the gravel after 1 day then they were a ball of mass going all around the tank floor then eventually the broke up and dissapeard The eggs were fertile cause i took some and hatched them artificially. Any info on your breeding setup tim and how you go about keeping these cool fish. cool.gif

From memory..( this is going back many years but ) mine started breeding very small, like male around 3inch female smaller, the eggs hang from threads ... look really cool....they may eat their eggs to start with but, I had no trouble with eating eggs after a couple of goes...more the problem always seemed to be the male wanting to eat the female.

A good sign of them starting breeding is they go from the drab colour to the outstanding black with white spots.

Hope thats of some help.

Cheers Karen

i have a heap of cool pictures of mine spawning but i dont think there on the net anymore... my female was much larger than the male, i had thought her male for ages till they spawned, they start off attched to somthing then the female moves them round the tank fanning them, i have video footage also acctually, but i wouldent have clue how to get it on the net, it's quite a large file. Anyway the egg's eventually hatched and i had heaps of fry... i used to have sooo many i would feed them to my Apisto's and other fish.... I really found them very easy to breed.

Tim

Archived