Hongis holding

tricky

Hi guys. First time on the forum so please be gentle. I bought some Labidochromis Hongis at the last major auction(March). They were fry then(about 2cm). They are about 4 to 5 cm now and i have stripped the female for the second time (with the help of a friend) and put them in a egg tumbler but once again the eggs have not hatched. Are they too young? How long should i let her hold? If the eggs turn white are they unfertilised? How long do they usually take to hatch? I need some expert advice. Thanks unsure.gif

hi

you could try leaving her in either a separate tank or a floating DIY fry tank so that she spits on her own , i would separate her after 2 weeks from the time you first saw her holding, that is in my opinion the more natural way rather then stripping her especially as she is still young.

cheers

there are instructions on this site for DIY fry container however if you are like me and cant be bothered making one laugh.gif , most LFS sell them i got one at Lams Parramatta which is made out of mess and is really quite big and has suction caps to fix to the glass, i also have one i bought here made of solid plastic with holes and suction cap it has a lid , both cost me $20 each however they are really quite big so if there is a adult cichlid that needs time out they are ideal,

cheers and good luck with the next mouthful

I suspect they aren't fertile eggs. If you are new to Malawi's it may be easier to simply isolate the holding female in a "floatie" with some black ag pipe as a refuge. If you leave her there 2o ish days she'll spit on her own. I recommend keeping her in the floatie (post spit) (after removal of the fry)... to fatten her up before returning her to the male.

Floatie: http://www.sydneycichlid.com/frytank.html

Use mesh on all four sides of the container (but NOT on the bottom). I'd recommend the 2 litre size ice cream tub for single females... I know some other breeders who raise fry in the 4 l varieties.

HTH -

Archived