plywood sump

Dragon_Lord_Tia

im setting up a 12ft tank from my uncle and i was wondering if a plywood tank(all sides wood) would be ok for a sump?

it will be preped and build properly but the only thing im worried about is leaks etc

also if i can be supplyed with some sites that would be helpful thanks

oh also ive got a week to set it up before i go back should the sump be done if i get to work with in a few days??

Hi There,

I might have misread your post, however it sounds like you're going to make a tank for a sump out of plywood. Surely a "plywood tank" wouldn't hold water?

Did I misinterpret :): ?

Cheers

Richard

If you want to use ply to make tanks/sumps, it will work you just gotta use more screws than you expect to join it all up and then search for a product called Pondseal, there are a couple of different ones but this one was made for garden ponds, so it doesn't promote algae growth. It's a white coloured stuff that makes a good seal, it sets like latex sorta. Just give your sump a couple of coats (i used two on a wine barrel pond i made it hasn't leaked).

I think it works out cheaper to use wood for these sort of tanks, you can even make a wooden box and then add a glass front and make wooden tanks.

-The pondseal stuff isn't real cheap, but if you buy a tin you'll have enough for a couple of projects!

There is a marine site that has a bit of info on this

www.garf.org/

HTH Goodluck!

As everyone has said, it can't be just a ply box. You will need to line the inside with some type of water proofing. Fiberglas will work and so will pond seal. Even a pond liner will be fine as long as you don’t puncher it.

I want to do as a LFS on the Central Coast has done and make a 8x3x3 tank out of timber sleepers and pond lining one day.

we did have a very good threed on the old forum

maybe u can ask one of the moods for it

it showed how to build a plywood tanks ;)

lol i might of missed some things it will be coated in epoxy stuff or i might use the stuff skidoo said but my cousin owns a paining company so ill get the stuff through him and get him to do it save me the dosh ;)

i did but had a trip the the kimberly and their are some large cliffs there you get the picture lol i should be getting a new one soon but their will be no progress pics but ill try a normal camera and scan them up;) but ill have too do it next time im down no luck with the delivery of the tank ill just have enough time to get it up and it sould be ok with 2 via aquas 750s on it and 2 ac 500s till i get back

Ahhh, so that's what you're doing! I thought you'd lost your marbles there for a minute mate! :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Archived