silver arowana

Guest african-au

Guest african-au

i am currently feeding my 10cm silver arowana blood worms as he loves it dearly..

can anyone tell me what else i can feed my silver,as i was told he was too young to be fed prawns!

any advice would be appreciated

cheers

chris!!!

hi

try to get him on hakari pellets (once in a while)..it will save u money when he/she grows too a massive size...

dunno about you but i don't think i can affort to feed a 90cm aro brine shrimp daily...at $2.50 a pack...

Guest african-au

thanks echo & empire so far so good my aro is eating very well..

pellets,blood worms,live fish chopped earth worms.

cheers & thanks

chris

yes they can start on hikari pellets where talking about the food sticks right? never too young to learn and if you leave it too late it will be even harder. i used that as a staple and gave it other goodies about 2 times a week. just break the pellets into 2-3 pieces and it should have no problem!

Bloodworms.... crickets... then get him onto krill (mini prawns).... from there I'd move him onto frozen pilchards or whitebait.... i used to buy it from the bait fridge at the servo .... and then pealed prawns as a treat... and maybe a goldfish once a month.

Hikari pellets would be good but make sure you soak them first...

I found the best was the pilchards.... only $3 and they'd last for a month...

all the aros ive had at that size i feed mainly on small crickets and frozen bloodworms. with the bloodworms i normally defrost the block in some cold water and then i use a small fine net 2 scoop the worms. then u can float the bloodworms on top of the water for your aro 2 see easier. i dont like my silvers to be searching for food on the bottom of the tank since they get drop eye very easily. basically any food that will float on top of the water is good. hikari pellets will save u $$$ in the long run if u can get them on it early. good luck wif the silver. mad mad fish 2 keep.

• 2 weeks later...

Use whiting or other white fish, pilchards I find are to oily and leave a scum on the surface.

Nile perch torn into little pieces are good its cheap and it helps the endemic species of lake victoria because there caught in there, because there not allowed alive into the country.

Guest african-au

thanks to all replies''' thumb.gif

aro is doing beautifully has doubled his size in 4 weeks,,

aro is eating ((hikari food sticks)),((crickets)),((meal worm)),((krill.))blood worm.

not a picky eater will eat anything i feed to he or she

my silver aro's colouring is absolutely stunning,,,,,,, for a silver!!! clap.gif

chris

My gf's Grandmother in Singapore catches little cockroaches in the garden and around the house and throws them to her aro.

It eats them as if they were caviar and it's certainly in good health and a decent size and from what I hear a good age.

Cheers - OziOscar

Guest african-au

i couldnt even imagine how my wife would react if i brought home roaches huh.gif

mate i'm struggling with meal worms & crickets woot.gif

cheers

chris

Let's just say that everyone thinks Grandma is crazy / disgusting. smile.gif Everyone except that big fat aro. smile.gif

It's not a staple diet, jut her way of dealing with pests and giving the fish a treat at the same time. I would be kind of worried about doing it out here because of ingested poisons etc.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived