Fluidized bed filter

stagfest

I came across a very interesting article on how to make your own fluidised bed filter, here it is, http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNfbf/bnfbf.htm

Now, i just can't get my head around how this thing works...Is the water from the tank pumped into the FBF, or does it just get gravity fed in there? I know the water has to get pumped out again, but does it have to get pumped in also.

Another thing, after reading a few more articles on these things, i now want to use one for my tank!!! smile.gif To me they seem like the best way to go with biological filtration, ( and if it were hooked up to a prefilter or sump ) you would have one good filter...any thoughts??? Or anyone who uses FDF??? cool.gif

-Cheers Merv-

What I would do is connect the output of a canester filter to the input of the FBF and have no pump on the return to the tank. Minimises the chances fo getting any sand in the pump, and the canaster is doing the mechical filtration.

Cheers

Anthony

You do need a pump to get push it through the filter. The pump forces water into the 'cylinder' where the sand filters the water and back into the tank.

I have a FBF in my tank (500 litres) as well as a cannister. I was originally advised to connect to cannister output but thought that if the cannister stopped, i was stuffed. I put an internal powerhead with pre-filter on it (to act as mechanical) and use it by itself.

I think they are great. 2 things: apparently it could deplete oxygen levels in the water (i ensure plenty of current and air supply) and I put marbles in the base to help with unclumping of sand.

I will be using the same filter system on my next tank.

Here is a quick search: LINK

I have looked into it - but still not running one.

I even have even made rough plans for building my own.

I think they are great - they have very good properties for stabalizing tank(s) with many fish and overcomming new tank syndrome when transfering fish.

But yes - they can take out alot of oxygen from the water. Overcome this with an air buble wall to stir up the water surface - and/or have more plants in a tropical tank.

Also, becasue they use a sand media for bio filtration - use less sand media to start off with, and monitor you tank conditions. Add more sand media slowly till there is a balance in your tank.

ie: the more sand -> the more bacteria bio filtration -> the more oxygen is used for the bacteria to live. So... Less sand lowers the bacteria and oxygen needs, leaving more oxygen for your fish.

Archived