how to breed bn

BLACKBAR

Hi BlackBar,

Just go down the page a bit to the "BN Questions" That will get you on the right track. L2H was good enought to put in a link in to some old articles, and Dave has pinned a quick jump link to "Auscat" at the top and there is pages of info on bristlenose there.

Hope you get yourself an good pair, they are fun to watch and rewarding to breed and they are great houskeepers, really earn thier keep!

Alan

hi sarah

a nice old piece of driftwood with some hollows or caves or tubes will be just dandy they do like to chew on the old wood.also a big plus it will help soften the water. a 50% water change just 1 or 2 degrees lower than normal will quite often spark an interest . otherwise all things equal and left in peace and quiet nature will follow course. they are a joy to behold. many years of pleasure is my wish to you.

cheers tangfish

Indeed Hungsta :rolleyes:

Feed well, I even feed mine krill pellets every now and again - they love them and their bristles are growing like they're on steroids...As far as I'm aware you might stuff up their digestive system if you feed too much high protein foods so be careful...

Be patient and do keep an eye on them because they seem to spawn when you least expect it!

Dad does a great job protecting the eggs...

Cheers

Richard

Hi

The female will get a nice round fat belly, full of eggs when she is ready to breed.

They need a cave of sorts, the darker the better, with an opening large enough to allow the male and female to get through but also small enough for the male to feel comfortable defending.

He will look after the eggs and fry perfectly - the paternal instincts in the species is amazing to watch. The males can look after the eggs of several females at a time so more than one female in the tank is not an issue. They can however get quite nasty when spawning.

Triggers are frequent water changes - so the temp drops slightly- wood for lowering the PH as well as chewing on - fresh vege & protein (do not over do on protein) matter to eat, to build up condition.

It is important to note that the fry need to stay with dad for a while to build up gut bacteria - otherwise you will lose them.

Hope this helps :rolleyes: .

Cheers

Woohoo second batch of bristlenose babies in two weeks woohoo...

Tips;

1. Plenty of food - i have heaps of algae due to sun, plus some high protein food that the cichlids miss;

2. Drift wood with a dark hollow, they actually eat it too;

3. High temperature to get them more active (28degrees)

4. Do not disturb!

They dont seem bothered by the high ph or hardness at all.

Also i found them to be the easiest fry to catch in a community tank...

since they stick to the wood, just pull out the whole piece hold over a bucket and carefully wash them off into it... :B

Archived