Large Red Devil

Peter_Gun_Riff

When I've moved adult Oscars I just leave the lights out for the first day or two and then all is pretty much OK (aside from the O doing the sulk thing as usual). I am guessing RDs are much the same (big cichlid with personality).

Make sure the decor is minimal as sometimes they get a bit thrashy and can do themselves an injury. Other times they slip into the new environment, have a look around and just find somewhere to sit and get over it all.

You could always put some safe feeders in with him to make him think he's in paradise and be more interested in the 'lollies' than stressing. blush.gif Just a theory - haven't tried it.

How are you planning on capturing and transporting?

Cheers - OziOscar.

The esky is right on the money, but depending on his size and the net's construction you might want to consider the tea-towel method.

You're welcome to PM me if you need a description of how-to.

It's the only way I've moved big Oscars as some nets are a bit harsh on the slimecoat.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Tea towel method:

* Remove all decor (aside from substrate).

* Pump the tank down so far that the fish is starting to lean over.

* Dig the substrate up into a pile so that the fish is in the deepest part and pump it down some more until the fish is really leaning over (circa 20 degrees from vertical).

* Guide the fish up to one end of the tank and slide a well-washed and soft (and well rinsed so it is free of detergent residue) tea towel under it...

* Lift it sling-style...

* and deposit into the esky.

To remove from the esky, same trick. Lower the water level until the fish is leaning, slide the tea-towel under and lift it into the preheated, etc tank.

When the water level goes down and the water cools a little, most large CA/SA slow down somewhat and are easier to handle. The soft, clean fabric is easier on their slime-coat than most nets (aside from the tree-hugger, non-knotted, very high cost ones).

If the fish is under 6" or so it's not such an issue, but if it's an adult this method works more smoothly with good long term results and a faster recovery from the move.

Lotsa luck!

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived