prardise fish

Nhan

Yep, its true, and i'm sure they can breed in cold water. The problem with breeding them in cold water is desease such as white spot infecting the fry. Do you have a female? i never got round to breeding them because i couldn't find a female, that and they are not leagal.

Anthony :)

I got a pair of these ages ago, i intially bought one and found it to be the most rotten tempered aggro fish i had at the time, a little while later i saw a male for sale and realised that mine had to be female, sure enough as soon as the male went in, she was squirting eggs everywhere! Not like bettas, this female just let loose! They didn't save any eggs from that and since, then i haven't really tried but the male builds bubble nests all the time and she destroys them. But i never had a heater with them!

Yea they are pretty aggro, aparently they have hundreds of fry so 1 spawn would deffinately flood the market in your area.

Anthony :8

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 females and one male in a 40gal unheated tank, and they are fine. Wouldnt put two males together if you can help it tho, they are peaceful to point, then they let loose!

What do you mean the females arent legal?? *puzzled*

hi,

working from memory here but I believe only *male* paradise fish are on the legal import list.

I presume this is because of the fact they can be expected to survive and breed in unheated freshwater and hence in the river systems.

I've heard of people having breeding pairs but have never seen females in the shops.

I bought my feamle from an lfs, but i've found it to be like buying bettas, no one wants the duller females when a nice male is easily kept on his own unheated/unfiltered. Plus they are very aggro, our female had to be isolated after killing two tandans a bristlenose and two young silver perch, not mention anything that might fit in it's mouth was mercilessly hunted down.

They may only have males on the import list (how this is policed i don't know) but considereing they were the first tropical fish kept in europe they've been part of the hobby for a LONG time

I dont know about the rest of oz legal size to sell or own paradise fish is 7cm in S.A..

Occasionally the odd females slip through the system here and there are quite a few people breeding them in ponds here over the summer months ..

I got a few female paradise in a batch of feeder fish from an LFS some time ago.

I didn't buy them as feeders, but more as an experiment to see what they turned out like. They were well aggro and now there is only one female left - she killed every other paradise male and female. :(

They still show up at that store from time to time.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Ahh well, import lists are a bit tricky.

lots of creatures that are illegal for import can be locally bred and sold.

I dont get why females would be illegal, that strikes me as very odd simply because they arent the easiest things to sex at a young age. Oh well, i'll look into it.

Personally, i've found them very peaceful. they are cichlid-like without the 'badboy' tendancies biggrin.gif however, putting 2 males together is a recipe for disaster!

Very interesting thoughts on the matter.

Archived