great fry catcher i made

sab

if you are like me and have had your females spit in the main tank as they are impossible to catch without taking out all the rocks, read on for a great fry catcher!

I have about 12 or so hongi fry in the main tank and wanted to catch them to pop in a 20 litre fry tank. Im sure ive read this somewhere, or someone told me, but anyways.

Just use a 600ml soft drink bottle (coke, pepsi, whatever your persausion! smile.gif )

Cut the top off it keeping about 4cm or so of the tapered end. Invert and insert into the bottle upside down. I just used a bulldog clip or two to keep it in place. Pop some food into the bottle (i just used tetra colour bits) and pop into the tank.

The fish won't be able to contain themselves - food!!! The smaller fry will be able to swim into the "trap" through the open neck to the food and not be able to swim out. You can then scoop out the bottle and empty into your fry tank. Hopefully the larger fish will not be able to fit - but make sure your keep watch to be certain!

I caught about 4 of them in 10 minutes!

I hope that helps!

A pic of one of my many hongi fry>>

user posted image

Im not sure I understand exactly what your saying.

So you cut the lid bit off...

and keep the bottom bit?

Then pop it inside out, which I think you meant as invert..

then put it upside down.. which would end you up with the bottom bit again woudnt it huh.gif

I'm not very good at understanding stuff like this without pictures sorry.

ohhhhhhhhhhh I think I just understood then.

You keep the lid. pop it inside out with the cap bit going inwards. so its abit like this

/\    /\
|  |  |  |
|        |
|        |

sort of thing... or am I wrong again dry.gif

edit* well when I wrote it it looked better, but you sort of get the picture of what I mean

Guest Gutty

Sit the bottle on a table in it's normal position, cut the top 1/3 or so off, leaving the bottom peice still sitting in it's normal postion. Now take the top and turn it upside down, it's now got the cap pointing toward the ground, and drop it into the bottom making a kinda funnel into the bottom part.

Now peg, tape, cable tie the 2 parts together and your fish trap is done.

hope that helped.

Matt

Archived