Our starting Tanganyikan tank

Rol&Jas

Hi,

We have never thought that we would ever keep Tanganyikan substrate spawners and now we are falling love with these little creatures.

We cleared out a 4ft malawi breeding tank and put a pair of J. transcriptus "gombe" that spawned before in a 2ft tank. The pair was housed with 5 5cm saulosi females that are just used as dither fishes at the moment. The pair had a small terracotta pot at one corner what they occupied.

Last week we moved in 1 leleupi male with 2 females. The leleupis also spawned before in another tank. We put another terracotta pot for them as well at the oposite corner of the tank. Also put a larger rock at the middle of the tank as a boulder. The leleupi male moved in the pot with one of the females.

I kept checking the pots for eggs in the last few days and tonight found eggs attached inside the pots. Both the leleupis and the gombes spawned at the same time.

We took some pictures:

Gombes guarding their eggs:

user posted image

Gombe male

user posted image

Leleupi female

user posted image

Leleupi female guarding the eggs. The eggs actually white. The gombe eggs are dark green.

user posted image

Leleupi male

user posted image

You can see the nice blue line around the leleupis' mouths

Hi Roland

Well done! Thanks for sharing the interesting pics and the information on the spawning setup.

I feel inspired to do something similar now, as I mentioned to you I have 2 J "Regani". Not sure if they are a pair though, one is considerably bigger than the other and they are hanging together in a corner of my 6 ft tank. It will mean stripping the whole tank to get at them though sadsmiley02.gif !

The fish I got off you are all doing well and it was great meeting you as well.

Kind Regards

Thanks Guys rolleyes.gif Unfortunately, the resoluation of pictures are not that good after we reduced the size of the pictures.

Now, we need to find suitable Tanganyikan tankmates for them.

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear that your fishes are going good. Hopefully, you have a pair of reganis if they are hanging out together and one is smaller than the other you might be lucky. I like reganis too, but I haven't seen any around unfortunately sadsmiley02.gif

Roland

Hi Roland

you got some great shots there especially the one of the eggs and the male guarding them , I like the idea of the shell siliconed onto the pot opening.

Archived