Parents & fry

Kribbie

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any africans that can be kept their fry together with the parents (apart from N.multis)? I've seen some in a LFS long time ago when I was not yet into the hobby of keeping africans. That store has kept the 1st batch & 2nd batch of juveniles & fry together with their parents in a community tank (not sure about the name of fish though), and the sales told me that the older fry would help to look after younger fry...is that true? unsure.gif

Thanks for any info in advance~

Cheers,

Heidi smile.gif

Yup...

Most shell dwelling Neolamprologines will do it (some better than others). Some cave spawning Neolamps such as N. brichardi, N. cylindricus etc will also do this.

Most Julidochromis spp. & Telmatochromis spp. will also breed in this fashion.

HTH -

Yea...I know that most of the shellies will be very good parents to look after their youngs and will form colonies once the fry has grown up. But since these shellies only require a small tank, I've got a 3ft there and don't really want to waste the top part of the tank, so decided to keep Malawi instead...(and they look much colourful than Tangs~) laugh.gif

I'm now preparing to setup a Mbuna tank and decided to keep either:

1) Ps. saulosi with e.yellow; OR,

2) Maingano with e.yellow; OR,

3) Ps. saulosi species tank only.

So which of the above combination has a higher chance of the fry to be survived if I don't seperate the mother and fry? (or I should ask which combination does most people would prefer?)

Thanks,

Heidi smile.gif

Archived