Methelyn (spl?) Blue

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if methelyn (spl?) blue is a general product with many uses (found at a hardware store) or mainly for aquariums?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard -

Methylene blue is just a chemical - you can make it up yourself if you want.

It is: C16H18CINS

However, if you look up the MSDS's (Material safety and data sheets) for methylene blue you'll see:

SKIN CONTACT: May cause skin and eye irritation. Absorption into the body may lead to formation of methemoglobin, which in sufficient concentration causes cyanosis. Possible delayed onset=2 to 4 hrs. Exposure can cause stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness and headache.

CHRONIC EFFECTS: Laboratory experiments have shown mutagenic effects. Target organ: blood.

So unless your experienced at handing fairly nasty chemicals - I'd simply recommended buying the prediluted stuff from aquarium suppliers. I've found if you buy "pond" versions of aquarium chemicals - they tend to be much more concentrated and hence much better value for money.

HTH -

Thanks guys, as always - I appreciate the responses :)

I bought some from an aquarium yesterday and after reading the instructions on the back realised that this post may have sounded somewhat stupid.

I'm always trying to find the cheapest way to run this hobby as I'm sure many of you would relate to!

Man I miss those old emoticons. :)

Cheers

Richard

Archived