black hair algea

hieuc

i recently set up a new tank well around 3 weeks ago, and now have stupid black hair algea, bit and peices here and there but it seems to be getting worst!!! i need to get rid of it quick cna it cant rip out the leaves with it, as lots of have it!

lighting 1 aquastar, grolux, hitachi aquarium,, all 4ft tubes, on for 12 hours a day

KNO3 2 teaspoons a week, with seachem trace and iron once perweek!

also 2 SAE and 2 otos do nothing, dont seem to touch it.

how do i kill this stuff, wat do i need to adjust?

thanks in advance

I have some in one of my tanks. I reduced the light time and added some plant fertiliser. Seemed to stop it spreading. It is still on the rocks and wood but comes off in clumps. I remove some every time I change water.

Yeah this stuff is a pain. I was told to increase water flow around the tank and it should stop. Try doing that, it worked for me to some degree. Its just hard to increase water flow in all parts of a planted aquarium.

Wait till ya get black beard algae growing!!!! now that stuff is a pain, I still cant find a remedy for that stuff. And Its soooo hard to pull off sad.gif

hi,

I foudn SAE's did a good job of keeping it under control.

Perhaps you have the false siamese algae eaters or the Chinese algae eaters; it's not uncomon to have them mixed up and a bit of a potluck situation buying them.

My tropheus duboisi are always up to a good feed of algae also... I would be a bit cautious putting them into a new tank but I regularly put rocks/wood/tank lids etc in their tank and they pick it clean in minutes.

its the black beard algae acutally, not black hair/brush therefore it spreads soooooo fast. yeah im sure its SAE i was asking teh shop and he showed my his flying foxes and a book with them as well. i think there tooo much for htem to eat they are only 3cm or so. im trying to stop light and fertilisers to see how it goes.

Archived