Fish of the day

YeW

Hi All -

There seems to be an upsurge in popularity of south american cichlids, particularly earth eaters recently. I know of a number of hobbyists who are trying their hands with fish from the "surinamensis" and Satanoperca groups.

What is interesting in this is that two earth eaters seem to be being ignored in this fad. A fact thats a little sad in my opinion as they are both lovely fish.

The first fish is "Geophagus" braziliensis - a fish which I personally think is one of the most spectacular in the Geophagines we have in Australia. Sadly this species is being overlooked by many hobbyists due to it's relatively low price tag. Don't be fooled people - this is a stunning fish when an adult. The sides of the body seem to shimmer with light and the first time I saw an adult I knew I'd have to give them a go. I kept this species a number of years ago and would really recommend it to other cichlid enthusiasts. I think I paid a mighty $3.95 ea at one of our sponsors (St George Aquarium!) for my fish (at 4cm or so). They begin to breed at just over 10-12 cm and as they age develop that fantastic colouration I was talking about. Unlike some of the other more trendy Geophagines this is an easy fish to breed and spawns in the open in a fashion reminscent of H. severus etc rather than the semi-mouthbrooding nature of the "surinamensis" group. If you have a spare tank 4'-5' tank - why not give a pair of these graceful fish a go.

The second fish G. steindachneri (aka Red Humps) has some hybridisation issues - and advise everyone to research this fish carefully before selecting your stock. Despite this, if you can obtain a trio of this interesting mouthbrooding south american - you'll enjoy both its colouration and interesting behaviours! I've never bred this fish, unfortunately I sold my fish before I went overseas a few years ago. Now I simply lack the tank space :) - I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with that. Anyway, for anyone looking for something relatively inexpensive - but amazingly different - I'll give the red hump a big plug!

I guess the point of this message is this ;) - if you thinking about some trendy Geophagines - why not give one of these guys a go!!

Cheers

Yes and I'd like to add, just how much the brasils look like heckelli 'threadfins' ;):

Speaking of underachievers, people would go 'ga-ga' if they saw my spirilums and sajicas in spawning dress :rolleyes:

And what about C. maronii 'The Keyhole Cichlid' Inoffensive, Compact and Inexpensive. :):

BTW St George have a tankfull of lil brasils atm ;)

I can vouch for the Geophagus braziliensis, I owned a large adult male not all that long ago, and he was a spectacular fish, exceedingly beautiful especially under lights!!! He was easy to maintain and rarely agressive, he lived happily with a adult green severum.

Unfortunately during a house move I settled him with a close friend, who has now also fallen in love with him and doesn't want to give him back - He's got a girl friend now!!! ;):

So yeh, ignore the price on them, instead think wow I got a bargin for a fabulous fish, and give them a go, I doubt that you will regret it!!! :D

If the 2 fish mentioned above breed as I am suspecting they will and people are interested in juveniles to watch grow, keep an eye on the classifieds ;)

Hi Wui -

In the short term that would be fine.

Finer gravels (under 3mm grain) would be better - although they will still do quite well on coarser gravels.

HTH -

Archived