Metal halide

hieuc

is it possible to buy metal halides that arent already setup with fluros and stuff... so i guess what im saying is just the light, so it can be installed in a tank with existing fluros with less cost.

It would be interesting to find a cheaper way to supply the high quality light from metal halides without having to stick out such a large amount of money... but i guess thats just a challenge we have with everything. :8

cheers

rhys

Hi guys,

Found this lighting store that many marine keepers use. An added plus is if you are just keeping a planted tank you should be able to use the lamp included with the setup instead of changing the bulb to other colour temps.

Its only $99 for everything, including all control gear and a bulb.

Might be worth contacting them about it.

http://www.ndlight.com.au/shop/prod_show.php?art_no=SMR150

Hahaha I should have stopped recommending these things to everybody. When I posted the link they were $99. Now they are $121 ;)

Still a pretty decent price for a complete setup including tube. And NO I am not affiliated with them in anyway.

I havent dealt with them, but if you post on the reefing australia forum you will find people who have.

I think you can buy from an electrician shop at maroubra junction. I bought one before Philips ML 181503 - 160 watts for $16 only. I believe it is a metal halide bulb, but it is not a long tube. It is like the street light.

And the good thing about this one is that you don't have to buy the controller as it is built-in already.

Hi guys,

Found this lighting store that many marine keepers use. An added plus is if you are just keeping a planted tank you should be able to use the lamp included with the setup instead of changing the bulb to other colour temps.

Its only $99 for everything, including all control gear and a bulb.

Might be worth contacting them about it.

http://www.ndlight.com.au/shop/prod_show.php?art_no=SMR150

If you buy a few of these, you can usually get them a bit cheaper. I bought a couple a while back, for $79 +GST without a globe, as I use them on a reef tank.

thanks all,

hey searlesy, when u go the globes how much are they each and how many Kelvins? cause i was told to get one around 5500K, does this sound right??

hieuc, are you talking about for a reef tank? If so, you really need something at least 6500K, which will need actinic supplementation to avoid the yellow look. I have 2 radium marine blue lamps, which are rated at 20000K, but really arent, they just have a large peak in the blue wavelength area, and my other lamp is a 10000K sylvania, which looks quite yellow next to the radiums. The Sylvanias go for about 80 bucks, but are a bit hard to get at the moment, the radiums are about $140, but if you check out

www.corallights.com.au

they have a pretty good selection of lamps, I have heard good things about their 14000K corallights brand lamps.

If you are after them for a fw tank, then I dont really know too much what colour temp you should be after.

Archived