Small White Pimple - Should I be concerned?

Fisheggs

Hi All,

I might be over reacting but this morning I noticed something unusual on one of my peacock, and with closer inspection, there was a small white pimple-like near his mouth.

He's eating and active.

Should I take preventative measure and take him out? Or leave it and monitor?

Picture attached:

Ywwfado.jpg

Appreciate any assistance!

Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Just a type of fungus that doesn't really spread.

Sometimes weak or old or ex-breeders put into a display may show a bit of this.

The fungus usually exists in a spore like mode in pretty much every tank.

It may show at time to time on a individual.

The fungus settles on the slime coat of the fish.

It may get a little bigger,, but it will diminish and disappear eventually. (slowly comes and slowly goes).

Usually stress and environment related,, but only bother looking at these issues if the fungus starts to manifest.

If it manifests then pool salts help combat it.

Buccal, some one should give you an award or something mate! With all that knowledge and experience, maybe you should produce a book or something haha!!

I'm glad that the fungus is not life threatening, but how long until it goes away? Would you also know what the fungus is called? Kinda curious how ex-breeders start to develop it...

Cheers Buccal,

Stress developes most health issues.

A male or dominant fish thats spent it's life as a workhorse and feeling alpha, is suddenly in a display that has truckloads of fish way more dominant,,, so he sobs and retracts,,, sometimes they don't pull through but usually they do.

This is the beauty of having all your young fish together and growing up together,,, this way tolerance between each other is more firm.

Knowing how long your fungus goes away is asking how long is a piece of string, as there's many things that depends on.

I'm guessing though in three weeks it should reduce by a quarter.

It could remain for almost six months.

As long as its not increasing and appearing on other fish,,,,, if this happens, you may have to focus on upkeep maintenance, water quality/chemistry, foods and where your fish are sourced from.

Remember that many diseases and bacterial/fungal organisms are always present in every aquarium regardless of how sanitary it is.

It's only when the fishes immune system is lowered (usually stress related caused by all sorts),, is when these existing diseases and bacterial/fungal issues take hold then manifest.

Sometimes these issues arise in small proportion for no reason, but soon they disappear if your tank is healthy supporting the fish with strong immune systems.

I've kept fish a very long time with no breaks in between.

The more numbers of fish that are kept,,, the higher the probability of encountering things for experience.

True challenge comes in systems that are very old and running for a long time.

As the always present pathogens can mutate and get away from you easier and become more stubborn than ever to resolve.

I've known of large eastern breeders long time ago having to close down due to out of control so called non-fixable issues.

Archived