Sexing Yellow Labs - Venting v markings

CommandoAndo

So everyone says that using colour markings on the yellow labs isn't a reliable way of sexing. What I am wondering is, has anyone tried comparing their results from venting with the visable markings on the anal fin etc? I'm wanting to try to sex some in the LFS before I bring them home but not sure I want to ask to vent them all before they go in the bag. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'm no expert but I know some fish shops won't mind assisting in telling you if they're male or female.

Most of them however will say they are too young to tell

That's from my experience anyway.

yes you can go by anal fin shape or sometimes females tend to be a little whiter on the belly well they used to be, there has been some quality elect yellows been bred over the last few years sometimes only way is to vent.an elect yellow from my experience with a magnifying glass can be vented at 4cm most or some shops should be using them as these are the sales they are missing out on..

Thanks to the activities of linebreeders like myself :) , you cannot nowadays rely on lack of colour in the anal and ventral fins, or lack of an egg spot in the anal fin, or lack of an eye stripe as indicating a female electric yellow.

I have been doing my best for the last couple of years to increase the amount of black in the anal and ventral fins in the females in my strain, and am starting to get females with some good colour in their fins, and also some with an egg spot and/or an eye stripe :)

I generally pick out my next generation breeders at around 6.5cm or so as I find I can vent sex them at close to 100% accuracy at that size.

If you are ever coming to the Gold Coast, get in touch with me beforehand and I can pick you out a nice vent sexed colony of quality electric yellows for no more than you would pay at your lfs.

Cheers, Doug

If I don't manage to get onto Doug via the forum before the morning, does anyone know any other ways I can contact him that you are able to share with me without him minding? I'm just passing through town so hoping to catch him. Happy for a private message.

Archived