Saratoga with large americans?

Barca888

I like the shape and large size of the arowana and the saratoga. Since the saratoga dont grow as big as the arowana i was wondering if they could hold their own against large americans. Like the blackbelt, oscars and green terror?

the biggest problem i found with my saratoga leichartii was jumping out the tank they seem to spook very easily,mine used to go straight through the cover glasses when chased by the pleco .if your big cichlids are pretty steady (like oscars)the saratoga would probably be ok they can certainly defend themselves , im also told that the jardinii are much steadier but ive never kept one. hope this helps ,youll never know till you try!

hard to guess. there isnt a yes or no answer, just give it a try and see what happens and be ready to remove a fish if needed. My leichardti is about 18inches now and is in a tank with 4 large polleni, pair of festae, pair of convicts, gold severum pair, coal grunter, baby spangled perch, 3 baby umbies, 2 barred grunters and a jungle perch. the tank is 7x3x2.5 feet which helps in everyone getting along.

the cichilds tend to argue among themselves and the natives tend to only argue with themselves. the toga only hates and tries to catch the jungle perch (no hope!!) but thats because i introduced the toga when he was a bit too young and the jungle used to bite at his gills. My setup is fine at the moment but i am ready to move fish to other tanks if needed. It was only on the 3 try that the toga was not picked on

hi

i've kept both saratoga leichartii and jardini before, and like others i lost a leichartii by jumping out of the tank.

however my current jardini is pretty tame (like the one b4 it, but it sadly passed away, don't know why was a nice 2kg fish), it even comes to the top of the tank for feeding out of my hand.

Currently in a 72"*20"*24" tank, upgrading soon.

biggrin.gif

Archived