your favorite filter mats

Chuckmeister

I'm curious, I see a lot of people asking about expensive filter materials either in a sump or cannister.

Sometimes its hard to find the right info.

Have you experienced not only the good but stuff you consider to act poorly?

We all change up these materials as we see fit based on varying things but I'd like to know what people use and why?

Do you think that the more expensive mats are better than older school cheaper mats and is it worth the cost?

Personally on my sump I use a course black filter foam as a pre filter folowed by synthetic filter wool, aqua clay, shredded plastic, filter wool (as a polish) and return.

I've used aqua clay because of recommended surface area. Not too sure if its any different to normal hydroponic expanded clay (at half the price) but from what I was told its fired at a higher temp making it more porous. It stays fairly clean but it does get heavy when bagged in quantity. I just cleaned 60 kilo and it was a pain.

The shredded plastic I chose because my lfs was selling it cheap and just adds another layer of bio filtration and I love that its light for removal. Similar to bio balls I guess but alot cheaper.

Archived