My Eternal search continues...

cooder

... for Dicrossus maculatus!

Labyrinth said there were some floating around recently. (correction: swimming, i would hope!! :unsure ) but they haven't replied for a number of weeks, so not sure how thats going.

Jodi lea said she isnt getting anymore in because of too few sales, but ill see if i can convince her when she is making an order next, if she has access to some.

Ive also contacted Smiths and they seem clueless aswell... :wallbash:

So the question is, has anyone seen or heard of them available recently? Wild caught specimens would be ideal, but i dont even know if they are importable. I get the feeling they arent because of size restrictions. even if they were they probably wouldnt be reliably macs, most likely filamentosus.

Known sources would be extremely appreciated!!

Cheers,

Cody

They are on the import list but with a stipulated minimum lengths of 5cm. It makes it tough when this is close to the maximum length of 5.3 cm for males and 6.0 cm for females.

Yeh i was looking at a request for amendment of some of the size restriction rules. Lets hope something is done. does anyone know of any reading material i can look at to help with identification within the dicrossus genus? when i find some i want to try to make sure they are the right species lol.

The best way is to use a scientific key.

Key to species of Dicrossus

1a. A single row of 5-6 blotches along middle of side .............................................................. 2

1b. Two parallel horizontal rows of small dark spots or several narrow dark vertical bars along middle of side .............................................. 4

2a. Five blotches along middle of side, 12-13 pec- toral-fin rays, caudal fin in males lanceolate with middle rays longest ........... D. maculatus

2b. Five or 6 blotches along middle of side, 10-11 pectoral-fin rays, caudal fin in males with prolonged rays in dorsal and ventral lobes, or only in dorsal lobe ............................................... 3

3a. Caudal fin in males with prolonged rays in dorsal lobe..................................... D. gladicauda

3b. Caudal fin in males lyreate with prolonged rays in both dorsal and ventral lobes ..................... ..................... D. filamentosus

4a. Two parallel rows of elongate blotches along middle of side.................................D. warzeli

4b. Anterior side with narrow vertical bars, or two parallel rows of small round blotches, usually grouped in pairs .............. D. foirni

This is Glenns reply:

Regarding D.maculatus, I've seen them imported maybe 2-3 times in 10+ years! in the past they were hard to import because the min import size was 5cm TL (and when rarely available, most specimens offered would usually be too small. A while back the interpretation of min size for certain fish species was changed from TL to SL (standard length), which makes it even harder (nigh on impossible) to get maculatus.

Current size restriction is below plus link to full import list.

Dicrossus maculatus of minimum length 5 cm SL

(http://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/pages/d8bf16ca-362b-4e6d-9144-4b71770bd6b6/files/live-import-list_2.pdf)

Regards Glenn

Ps maculatus are expensive, usually 5-6 times the price of filamentosa

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh he got rid of them a while back and is banned from QLDAF so i cant contact him, and is inactive on this forum i believe.

Is importing from Germany or similar a doable option or do you have to have expensive licensing and facilities for quarantine and inspection...

If it was doable it would be extremely eexpensive i know for sure... wouldn't be worth doing it unless other people were keen to try to start breeding these as well.

Archived