Stocking and Media Advice

cooder

Hey Guys,

Im going to convert my std 4ft 200L from a Tanganyikan tank that ive had for 5 years that now contains only a calvus trio, into an Apisto/South American "biotype"
My plan was 2 trios of an Apistogramma sp. Probably one of a list including but not limited to; A. bitaeniata, A. agassizi, A. trifasciata, A. hongsloi, A. baenschi and A. borelli.
As well as pencil fish, tetras, a type of cat/cleaner and maybe a few hatchet fish, I would also like to have a non threatening, pretty, mid sized Cichlid species in a group/ pair as a sort of centre piece. I really like the idea of a small group/pair of Geophagus sp. Tapajos, but am not sure whether it would be wise to keep a small amount of them in a small tank. I dont like the idea of a single male, that's a bit contrary to nature. Im not worried about raising fry at this point, so what happens, happens.
Obviously this plan is subject to a lot of change, So does anyone have any suggestions and advice for what i'm looking for? Maybe, mixing 2 species sounds cool if it works, ive read that A. borelli and A. trifasciata cohabit, as well as lots of others most likely. (unless im mistaken.) Or maybe a different dwarf species? Ivanacara sp.? Dicrossus filamentosus? Or maybe even a group of Angel fish. I like that idea :D
I also plan to change the hard media in the canister so it doesn't leach carbonates. Could anyone recommend a good quality, reasonably priced filter media (single or combined) to replace my old bio balls and noodles? Im going to replace the fine coral sand with play sand and give the tank a good scrub with a bleach water mix to disinfect.
For plants my only idea at the moment is a few species, low tech in mid - high density, perhaps 2 large amazon swords, some dwarf swords, a tall bunch plant (any ideas) maybe some echinodorus. Then ferns and mosses on the rocks and duckweed/a nice small floating plant. I also wouldn't mind a large center piece lily but that might be too ambitious at this point. Lots of wood and indian almond leaves and i will be using rainwater. After sitting in the poly tank it drops down to about 5.5 ph. Which is excellent for what i need. Ive had good results with an agassizi pair in the past using this water.
Anyone got any advice for me?
Thanks,
Cody,

sounds like a lot of fish in a smallish sized tank so be careful you don't overload your tank. small geos like orange heads are a good idea. they don't get as big as some of their cousins. a group of 5 would look great.

filter media for a canister, you can't go past hydroton. it's small clay balls they are used in hydroponics as a goring media. cheap as chips and does a great job for canisters and sumps

plants - geos will dig up your plants 99% of the time. they love to sift through sand so your plants will be uprooted in no time. i use only planted driftwood and a few fake plants that are siliconed to a piece of sandstone. anubius, bolbitas, java fern etc are all easy to grow and graft to wood and clay pots easily. i use pool filter sand from a pool shop as substrate. small enough for geos to sift through but not so small it gets sucked up into your filters

definitely give the change a go. south americans are easy to keep and full of character

keep us posted

Thanks for the advice Matt, i will look into what you suggested

EDIT: after a bit of searching for info on Geo. sp Tapajos, it says a 6ft tank is minimum, but if you think a small group would work well, then ill trust your judgement. To help out i would keep most of the tank bare sand, with one corner aquascaped for 1 trio of Apistogramma.

What ratio for male and female is best?

Archived