Help with breeding electric yellows

Turbo Trix

Beautiful yellows on display here. I have all but given up on yellows now after losing several top notch colonies to wasting over the past few years. I have smashed them with every drug I could get hold off over the years and nothing has worked. At last there are some nice ones silk getting around.

Cheers

Rosco

I'm pretty sure it's the faint black edging ones that have that light bright yellow color,,, are the ones that have waisting issues.

They also seem to have a deformity/mutation in head structure to a small outcome percentage,,,, almost like a square thickened head.

Whilst the ones that don't receive this variance have smallish heads with a pointed nose.

I found that once they spawned and females are stripped,,, from there they are prone to waisting.

This could be combated with instant stripping and tumbling the eggs to allow female to recondition,,,, but the waisting still occurred a lot of the time.

Really that's still no good as having to tumble is not ensuring quality survival.

My belief In best selection,, are the ones that have the best ability to have their bodies store carotenes and pigments.

To achieve this,,, is select the best you can find, preferably square deep bodies with thick black edging and deepest yellow.

Basically like Trances.

Breed them like mad to obtain at least 200 fry.

Grow these out in a clean tank to 2cm,,,,, then bombard these fish with spiralina, astaxanthin and nutrose heavy foods.

The ability of the fishes body is to store these 3 things as pigmentation.

Choose the heaviest colored standout ones in the large group after hitting 5cm.

This technique can also be used on small dragon bloods having random quality in vividness.

Obviously the electric yellow will be more subtle to work with.

• 2 months later...

heres a quick vid of some of Dougs yellows i had sent up here

not a white belly in sight ! all the females have great fin markings as well

there is not alot of light on this tank . these are A class yellows

there are still young but already have had a few mouthfulls from them

cheers mark

I've just been advised that somebody in Sydney is selling "german strain" electric yellows, and I'm a little dubious considering electric yellows are not and never have been an allowable import. Anybody else in Sydney have any knowledge of these? I suspect its another scam like the so called "wild caught" electric yellows being advertised a few years ago.

Cheers, Doug

A mate of mine was breeding yellows a few years ago and he swears by the males having a stripe through there eye and is confident in sexing them this way. I would be interested to know if this was a trait specific to his line or is this common amongst yellows ? Maybe he is onto something , thoughts ?

A mate of mine was breeding yellows a few years ago and he swears by the males having a stripe through there eye and is confident in sexing them this way. I would be interested to know if this was a trait specific to his line or is this common amongst yellows ? Maybe he is onto something , thoughts ?

I have seen the eye stripe on males, usually older dominant males, but then again I have also seen very nice young males without it. Although I have never seen a female with it, I wouldn't regard it as a definitive sexing indicator. It is quite easy to pick out large dominant male electric yellows, the difficulty can be in picking them accurately when younger, and in this case the eye stripe cannot be relied upon.

Cheers, Doug

The "eye stripe" theory is not full proof....females can have it too....Yellows are very difficult to sex at semi-adults...however usually females are alot smaller than males and have "clearer" pelvic fins, although those methods are not full-proof either...Venting is the best bet, although fish that have breed before are easier to vent, than juvies

Archived