KH powder

crooner

Can anyone tell me what the KH powder I pay a small fortune for at the lfs actually is?

I add it to every water change do I really need to?

I do a 25-30% change every week wouldn't that keep the PH fairly stable?

The KH (Carbonate) hardness is the waters ability to keep the pH stable aka buffering capacity.

A strong Carbonate Hardness reserve in water can mean a very stable pH.

Acids which form as a result of the breakdown of waste products by bacteria (via biological filtration) is the most common way the carbonate hardness reserve is depleted. As a carbonate hardness reserve is depleted, the pH drops.

Doing water changes alone won't keep your water pH stable unless of course the water that comes out of your tap is perfect which it probably isn't.

Generally I try to keep my KH around 140ppm (8dKH) - 215ppm (12dKH).

You also don't need to be paying the price you are for chemicals! I use a DIY mix of Bicarbonate Soda ($7 for 5kg), Epsom Salts ($8 for 5kg) and Marine Salt ($35 for 5kg). Cost me $50 total and will last 5 years and my water parameters are perfect!

Thank you Mbuna, it appears I can buy calcium carbonate online 5klg for $15, that's much better that the $16 for 500g I have been paying

You don't need calcium carbonate. The bicarbonate soda will raise your pH for you and also keep it stable. They are interrelated!

Trust me all you need are the first 3 I said and that's it! I don't even use a dechlorinator because I aerate the water in a drum for 24 hours prior therefore eliminating the need.

Regular water changes using those three things and you will have happy fish and a happier wallet!

I don't even use a dechlorinator because I aerate the water in a drum for 24 hours prior therefore eliminating the need.

U can get away with this if your town water is treated with chlorine, but not with chloramine

This is true. I've been using tap water for 3 years using only aeration and I haven't lost a single fish. My water supplier does add chloramine. That being said, I guess it depends on ones individual supply so I don't reccomend this for everyone.

Chloramine can also be removed using an RO unit or using filter carbon.

I do weekly 25-30% water changes the ph seems stable.

I get my water tested at the lfs every now and the (just o test my kits are not wrong) and they always raise that my KH is low so I buy some more KH powder and add a teaspoon to every water change bucket until I run out.

It just seams expensive to buy at the lfs so was looking at a more price affective way of doing this.

I have Central Americans now, is there a home brew buffer anyone has?

Archived