Go the Blues!

goldenswimmers

Id say I will

Are you going to get high percentage of EB from breeding from both sexes of EB ????
Or you use a standard with a EB gene as one of the parents ????
Nice n burly looking fish by the way.

I'll be looking at an EB with a Split as EB on EB = dud fry(haven't seen myself but this is the common acceptance and I might have to prove this to myself just so I know for sure :wallbash: )

Hah ha, yes, that's what I was getting at.

And yes, if I was doing this to,,,, I to would have to try to be certain,, it just doesn't seem right,,, though the successful breeders has proven the higher percentage combos.

Looks like your really on it.

If you ever create excess breeding pairs,,, I will pay very top dollar for a pair, knowing the time and dedication you are putting into these, as this is what it takes.

Excellent work.

Impressive EBJDs.

Using a bb male (EBJD) over a Bb (heterzygous for normal JD colouration) female appears to be the way to go with EBJDs. There have been reports that using this breeding regime results in fry that have a bit more vigour than other breeding combinations resulting in increased survival rates.

Cheers Ged and thanks for the info/heads up...will look into going with this combo if it does produce stronger offspring as this is one of my main aims...to produce a stronger more stable ebjd....

Cheers, Gswimmers, I know it's a lot to ask of,,, lol.

I believe the combo Ged mentioned,,, I faintly remember from a study up on this,,, this will produce 75% EBJD, and this is the best that can be achieved.

The splits can have dominant or recessive genes as can the EBJD.

Other combos also can be splits put together.

Depending on combos and dominant or recessive genes, three outcomes occur,,,,,

25% EBJD

50% EBJD

75% EBJD

I may not be 100% correct,, if not I'm close.

It's said in the old days,, when the natural occurring recessive gene showed (EBJD) very occasionally the slow growth would make the breeder think they are mutant runts and they were killed.

They later were found to be attractive and specifically line bred using scientific gene knowledge to carry on this desired weak fragile trait that happened to be attractive.

This form of JD will always be weak and fragile.

Keeping these fish, especially breeding them sorts out the men from the mice I reckon,,, lol.

I would love to have a happy pr that produced 75% ebjds and they were strong,well shaped off spring..these guys here came from my pr of splits and they are a great pr...spawning pretty much monthly and happy together(fingers crossed :) )...if the splits produce stronger more robust fry the I will just breed from some split prs....as the main goal is a strong ebjd strain...it would be great to get 75% offspring EB but I would trade for the 25% if they were stronger fry..so many of these guys don't make adulthood due to various complications and this is when these guys get really nice....but aim big hey ha ha :) 75% and super strong EBs please! ha ha :spaz:

Archived