Filter media help for cichlid tank

juzzo_5913

Hey guys need some advice about my eheim 2215.

Its come to that time where i need to clean the filter. I have cleaned it once before and the guy in the shop said after about a year you should change some of the media inside it. Could you guys please tell me exactly what I should put in it and how much I need to buy, also is one year correct for this?

I currently have a gold spot plecco cat fish.

3 frontosas two medium size one slightly smaller.

2 lion heads about 8cm

and one electric blue 8-10cm. 4 ft tank ruffly 200 liters.

All advise is welcome and any tips on some more fish to put in my tank would be great :)

Hi Juzzo,

I don't know exactly what media your 2215 has. However, going by what the "standard" 2215, it usually comes like this

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/webshop.pl?f=*NR&c=252215&t=temartic_e

Please read the info of each media type.

So you have:

- EHFIMECH/noodles. shouldn't need to be replaced.

- Blue Coarse filter pad, need to be replaced when it deteriorates (crumbles, etc). It lasts quite a while.

- SUBSTRATpro, shouldn't need to be replaced.

- Filter wool, need to be replaced when it deteriorates, maybe once a year. Some people will replace every time they clean the filter.

And when you clean them, you know to use tank water, not tap.

Now, the fish. If you're going by their adult sizes, your tank is too small for the frontosas & pleco. You can add a few more fish now and need to take some out when they grow.

HTH.

There is the cheaper sponge only eheim canisters and there is the one with the actual media you need if you are going to buy eheim canisters.

This link shows why guppy's sells them so cheap. Because its sponge only. http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/internal-external-filters/eheim-canister-filter/eheim-classic-2217-canister-filter/prod_518.html

That's why the media is available separately I'd assume.

As you can see, the media are available separately or as a set. IMHO, it is available in case you need one because you haven't got any, misplaced, etc...which is good. Also, Eheim can generate more business.

I only noticed the filters that come with sponge only started appearing about a year or so ago. I guess it provides more affordable alternatives.

I have 2217 I think and I put in matrix instead of what came with the filter anyhow. I can't remember ever replacing filter sponge in canisters. Other components go a lot earlier like I rings and the like. The only think that I have replaced is carbon

Archived