Malawi vs Tanganyika

Adzzy

Hi Adzzy

Fish like tropheus will be too agressive for malawi. Whereas fish such as frontosa may be too slow to get food as they are more active at night and slower to get to the food than malawi fish.

Tangs prefer harder water whereas malawi is softer, so if you do keep the two, perhaps somewhere in the range of the middle between the 2 lakes.

Regards, Rob

• 1 month later...

I dont have tropheus in my Malawi tank, but managed to sneak a few Frontosa, Regani and Leleupi in. They seem to get along ok. It wont stay like this for long however as I'm setting up a Tanganyikan display as well. My Malawi's feed off the top and Tanganyikan's down low. Feed both floating and sinking food. I feed at both ends of the tank.There are plenty of hidey holes so there are not to many problems. These days most of the fish you buy are not wild and are breed by local breeders whose water parameters are alot closer. Willd fish are alot more sensitive to water quality and all that flying around all over the place cant help. Choose your fish carefully and you wont have a problem. I know plenty of people who mix them together for a beautiful display.

Archived