pre-treating water system

Kerrin

Hey all,

with the new tank I have decided that due to the soft and acidic water required it might be time i started pre-treating my water before changes.

I have bought a 65L plastic outdoor bin, and have cut a hole in the lid, into which i have fitted a smaller plastic tub with holes drilled in the bottom. My idea is to pump water using a powerhead up into this container, and have the water flow through a sponge (to remove any solids that may enter the bin) and then some canadian peat (thanks Glen) and back into the bin. In the bin I will have some indian almond leaves and some scrap driftwood.

I think that this should give me a rolling supply of soft, well oxygenated, pre aged water that I can just replenish each WC. My concern is the bin and container, will the plastic have any effect on the water? If i have about 60L in there at any given time, and my water changes are 40L, then each weak I will also be changing 2/3's of the water in the bin, will this keep it safe?

Is anyone currently doing this? or has anyone in the past? It is working (that is water is flowing as I planned) I justhavent added peat, leaves or wood as I don't want to waste them....

Let me know what you all think. Can post pics if anybody wants to see

\Kerrin

HI one of my mates uses a plastic 44 gallon drum to pre condition his water an has done so now for a couple of years for his tropheus,seems to work fine but different plastics may have different affects.

G'day I too use a 220l drum for my tropheus water ageing.

It works very well but I've never tried it with soft water.

I wouldn't expect the drum plastic to change anything.

Maybe just go ahead and try it. Test the water before using it for a WC and if all good then it's all good! Lol

Archived